Rear ARB yet again

jaywhy50

So what next? As a long time Subaru driver I know how effective relatively soft springs with very firm dampers are, and are the only way to go on real roads (smooth tracks are a bit different), so assuming I stay with the current springs, what dampers should I go for?

I think the generally accepted best all round dampers for the money are the MGZS 180 ones! Same car as where the ARB comes from. The springs are stiffer too, but not coilover / lowered spring levels of stiffness!

MG Shocks / Springs combo is widely used, as the offer marginally lower than standard ride height, slighly sitffer springs, MUCH stiffer shocks and still very comfortable on a public road!

All that, and it's simple bolt on installation again! No mods required!

The best thing is, you can pick up used, lower mileage full sets for around the £100 mark, or new sets for around the £200 mark!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

jasons I think you misread me.

Currently I have the MeisterR which is 8F and 6R (448F and 336R if you prefer in lbs).

I'm just planning stiffer on the front, I have 10F (560F) in mind, I won't touch the R, it's good like it is, maybe I'll take the 8kg spring once in the rear to see how a stiffer back handles, but indeed as you suggest I don't want the rear be very stiff as it will prolly back out more easily without warning.

so 10/6 is what I head for (and should retain some comfort as daily driver).

I'll probably get those 10kg/mm (or 550lbs) pair over here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Coilover-Spring-Coil-Over-2-25-ID-X-7-Long-x-550lbs-/120716622288?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c1b4579d0

I don't have adjustable springs, so I've never been able to change the spring rates front / back, but I do find that stiffening the rear dampers makes the car understeer more.

jasons I think you misread me.

Currently I have the MeisterR which is 8F and 6R (448F and 336R if you prefer in lbs).

I'm just planning stiffer on the front, I have 10F (560F) in mind, I won't touch the R, it's good like it is, maybe I'll take the 8kg spring once in the rear to see how a stiffer back handles, but indeed as you suggest I don't want the rear be very stiff as it will prolly back out more easily without warning.

so 10/6 is what I head for (and should retain some comfort as daily driver).

I'll probably get those 10kg/mm (or 550lbs) pair over here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Coilover-Spring-Coil-Over-2-25-ID-X-7-Long-x-550lbs-/120716622288?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c1b4579d0

I see, 550 front will really stiffen it up, I would go stiffer than 350 rear though, you would be suprised how much the rear rolls in the corners, I was with 500 rears.

500 rears work really well and won't oversteer, not unless you do something really stupid in a corner, but if you did, any rate on the rears would probably act the same.

I'll post how I get on with 600 front and 500 rear when I get a chance to use the car....

Thanks John for the suggestion of the MG ZS setup. That seems to make a lot of sense for english road conditions. It sort of begs the question as to why we didn't all just buy MGs doesn't it..... Then again 8000rpm in a road car is a bit addictive. Then again a 2.5 litre V6 is tempting too!

You other guys clearly understand your spring rates better then me and I'm very impressed. I just believe that stiff springs mean the car will lose touch with the road in bumpy conditions - and no matter how good the handling is, it ain't no use without roadholding (and they are two quite separate things).

Time to start saving for the ZS kit then.

Thanks John for the suggestion of the MG ZS setup. That seems to make a lot of sense for english road conditions. It sort of begs the question as to why we didn't all just buy MGs doesn't it..... Then again 8000rpm in a road car is a bit addictive. Then again a 2.5 litre V6 is tempting too!

You other guys clearly understand your spring rates better then me and I'm very impressed. I just believe that stiff springs mean the car will lose touch with the road in bumpy conditions - and no matter how good the handling is, it ain't no use without roadholding (and they are two quite separate things).

Time to start saving for the ZS kit then.

zs kit is cheap enough, if you haven't already got the 180 rear arb, then this is worth getting with the suspension, but make sure the arb comes with all the mounts and droplinks though, or you'll be ever spending on getting the bits together... they turn up now and again complete.

Archived