How to tell what final drive you have...

WilkesyMB6

I have a S80 box then one day i will fit to my car.

What i want to know is how do you tell what final drive is it? People have said count the cogs but who can you tell the difference between a 4.4 and a 4.7

Also if it is a 4.4 would i be best off swapping my final drive from my S9B?

No mate the s9b is only 4.2..

I think im right in saying that the s80 was 4.4 in all trims except the 98 spec?? Im not sure though.. Also dont know how you could tell..

sorry couldnt be much help

Measuring the gears is the only way mate.

Think the S80 will be wasted without the FD TBH though. If you do masses of motorway miles then I'd consider it, but otherwise, the S80 is wicked ;)

96 spec are 66 teeth around crown gear.

98 spec are 67 teeth around crown gear.

its the biggest gear inside the box...like your man above says, if you do a lot of motorway miles dont think its economical..!..

LSD E3D or LSD N3E stamped on casing dictates its a 98 spec....E3D is UK and N3E is import...

i dont know the 96 spec stamps.

the barcode thing dont tell much....apparently it was a production line thing so they knew which tranny to install to which engine.

If you don't care about economy, keep the FD as it is.

If you've got the 98 spec, even better as Steve and Naz said mate, but, if you've got a 96 spec, I wouldn't spent the money to go looking for one. To buy it on it's own.... I wouldn't spend that much!

There's been a fair few requests lately for the S9B too mate, so good chance you'll pass your's on pretty quickly too!

Archived