Audio crossover mounting and wiring

Dexter

I'm redoing my sound system, bought a JBL GTO608C 2-way system a while back but didn't get around to installing it until now. I've started sound deadening the doors, but before i go any further i'd like to know where's the best place to put the crossover? It's about 9cm x 7,5cm, 3cm thick which would be 3,5" x 3" x 1,25". I'm not sure if you use metrics on these kind of things? But anyway all suggestions are appreciated!

If you are using an amp id put them in the boot with the amp.

If using the headunit you might be able to fit them in the kick pannels or behind the door card maybe? (not in the door as it gets wet in there)

Overall it doesnt matter where they are put aslong as you can wire them up :)

If you are using an amp id put them in the boot with the amp.

If using the headunit you might be able to fit them in the kick pannels or behind the door card maybe? (not in the door as it gets wet in there)

I'm using a headunit. Tried to find a spot behind the door cards today but it's pretty cramped in there. So far my best idea is to stick them here:

jakosuotimensijoitus.jpg

Then use plasticard or whatever to create a compartment for it and hide it from view to keep a neat looking interior. Might it work out?

And now that i thought about, wiring is the next issue. Since i'm supposed to connect the + and - wires from my head unit into the crossover, how can i do it, when there's already 2 wires for the tweeters and 4 wires for the mids coming out from the wiretube through the door? I hope this doesn't mean i'll have to start digging deep to get this done... :?

Does the kit you're trying to fit include tweeters? Looking at what I can see from that model code, the crossover is designed to work between tweeters/midranges (those fitted in the doors) and midwoofers. If you headunit has the same speaker connections as the stock unit, I'd just replace the stock speakers with your JBLs & ignore the crossover; it probably won't have much effect upon the signal you're getting out of the headunit. If you had a full-range signal from an amp, it would be a different matter.

Does the kit you're trying to fit include tweeters? Looking at what I can see from that model code, the crossover is designed to work between tweeters/midranges (those fitted in the doors) and midwoofers. If you headunit has the same speaker connections as the stock unit, I'd just replace the stock speakers with your JBLs & ignore the crossover; it probably won't have much effect upon the signal you're getting out of the headunit. If you had a full-range signal from an amp, it would be a different matter.

It came with tweeters, and the new head unit plugs in to the original wiring with an adapter i also got. When i bought the new system from the car audio store, i told the guy i wanted to redo my whole system without adding any amps or woofers and after discussing different options, this is what he recommended me. His opinion was that with the crossover i'll get most out of my non-amped system.

But i have thought about the option of just leaving the crossovers out for now, it would make things a lot easier. But... once i start something, i have the habit to get it done properly, no matter how much it'll kill me! :D So i think i'll still try to figure this out a bit.

As I said mate, there will be some point in the wiring where the cables meet. You want to splice in to the oem wiring just before that.

When trying to run speakers, especially components, without an amp it makes the wiring not difficult but just that you will have to make a mess of your loom.

You can run the new ones using the oem wiring, it just wont sound as good because that crossover is designed to work with those speakers and JBL will have researched which are the best frequencies for the mid and tweet to be crossed over at.

Right, the best thing to do is use the crossovers, they separate the sound signals so much better than the standard loom, replace the standard tweeters, replace the standard door woofers too.

The wiring is very easy to sort, take door card off, remove old door woofer, trace those wires & they'll interlink with the tweeter wires. Cut all 4, then crimp on one connector to both woofer & tweeter positive, and then do the same for the negative. Then run that signal source to the crossover, and use new wiring from crossover to woofer, and crossover to tweeter.

That's probably a really bad explanation, but it is a really simple job.

If you need any more info, just ask... Really into my car audio...

It came with tweeters, and the new head unit plugs in to the original wiring with an adapter i also got. When i bought the new system from the car audio store, i told the guy i wanted to redo my whole system without adding any amps or woofers and after discussing different options, this is what he recommended me. His opinion was that with the crossover i'll get most out of my non-amped system.

But i have thought about the option of just leaving the crossovers out for now, it would make things a lot easier. But... once i start something, i have the habit to get it done properly, no matter how much it'll kill me! :D So i think i'll still try to figure this out a bit.

Archived