Advice on press for bearings/bushings.

Didjeridave

Last time I fitted my poly's I used my old man's bench vice & knackered it; slight feud resulted but his next birthday present was an easy pick. Looking to buy a proper press, so wondering how many tons capability is needed for general car work?

I saw this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/500T-Hydrauli ... 2312924d00

...but wife said no.

Shame, would be great for making frisbees out of engine blocks.

DONT try and press the bearings out. You wont be able to. They are solid in the hub and are not ment to be removed. Wheel bearing gone = new hub

A mate of mine worked at Honda in the mid 90's and wasn't told this. He managed to break the press they had in the Honda workshop trying to do an MB6 hub lol

...depends which bearings you're on about & I've got far more than just the VTI to take care of! Rear bearings, yeah,that's a whole unit but fronts I've done previously with a bench vice. The advantage of hoarding random bits of metal means that I've ammassed a fair set of drifts over the years too!

Just wondered whether any workshop guys knew the ton rating of their press; I can't think anything over 6 ton should be necessary; the price seems to rocket beyond that.

Archived