MB2 D14 poor fuel consumption - 20mpg...???

Paul67

I don't use supermarket fuel unless I have to. I don't get as good mpg as I would from any of the brands.

I get better MPG from Tesco 99 RON than any other fuel mate.

Generally get 30-40 miles per tank more on Tesco 99RON than any other fuel, including Optimax and BP Ultimate.

Think a lot of it depends on condition of car, how clean the injectors are, how good the combustion is etc etc etc.

No doubt it varies from car to car.

In performance terms, I think Rich and the gang at DD did a study of it. On Keith's EP3, 95-99RON made 12bhp difference.

Many studies have been done, and as you lot know, I'm no great believer in mass follow the crowd mentality, and find out my own things my own way.

As for you fuel consumption issues mate, 02 sensor would be my first bet, then potentially a dirty / sticky injector or plug.

If you are close to Leicester, I'd pop it into DynoDaze and stick it on the rollers. It's amazing what you can discover from a power curve and 30 mins with Rich ;)

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't use supermarket fuel unless I have to. I don't get as good mpg as I would from any of the brands.

I get better MPG from Tesco 99 RON than any other fuel mate.

Generally get 30-40 miles per tank more on Tesco 99RON than any other fuel, including Optimax and BP Ultimate.

x2 I've been using tesco's momentum for about a year now and get at the very least 20 more miles per tankful but usually about 40 more. :D

Once I get the mpg back up to mid 30's (driving around town) I will try different types of petrol to see what the car likes best for performance and mpg.

Hopefully I can get checked for faulty codes very soon. Having said that though, I changed the fuel filter today and it's made hell of a difference to the car. I was perfectly happy with the way it drove before, but I'm even happier now. It's starts off the key almost before I've finished turning the ignition on, and I don't seem to need 1st gear anymore. :lol: Now I only have to lightly touch the throttle and it's away and pulling far better in every gear. That's got to be the best £6 I've ever spent! :D

I wouldn't be at all surprised if my fuel consumption improves significantly after changing the fuel filter. But will definitely get the codes check too! ;)

Leicester is a bit far for me to pop it into DynoDaze. I'm in Swansea. But with the help of Civic5 I'm sure I'll getting running close to perfect!

1"£££$££"!!

glad your getting it sorted, and as hickster has said, d-series engine's don't like budget fuel, mine's a 1.6, i used supermarket fuel at first, but found it didn't like cold start's. after a couple of month's, i switched to shell. i was paying about 1ppl more from supermarket fuel to shell. my mpg jumped after a couple week's, from high 20's to low/mid 30's. and once i changed all of the filter's the performance improved again.

as well you not that far from hinckley, i'm about 2 1/2 hrs away (80 miles), and your 3hrs away (180 miles), work that out lol

I had to look on google maps to see where Tattershall is. Living by the motorway does have it's benefits then, lol. I suppose one of them is I was able to go for drive on the M4 earlier to use up whats left in the tank so I can compare mpg better after changing the fuel filter. Trouble is I wasn't really going over 2,500 rpm... and the gauge wasn't moving... so I then took a spin on some quiet A roads which are very popular with the bikers around here... I took it to 5,500 rmp quite a few times and heard the car make quite a nice sound for the first time....I didn't seem to use up much petrol though, lol, but at least it should help clean they fuel and exhaust system out. ;)

live in a nice little place in the country don't I? living near a good motorway network help's with journey time's. around here it's all single carrageway road's, with little or no overtaking spot's. for example the a1 is 45minuites away from us on a good day (bad day it can be 1hr plus), and when i went over to dynodaze last year, the first bit of duel carrage way i hit was near leicester it's self, (A607 going on to the A46)

what sort of noise was it making?

Thanks! I only saw two small blue plugs in a clear soft plastic cover/shield there when I looked earlier, they looked as if they were something to do with the heaters. I will have another better look tomorrow.

Just to add, I used up the last of the petrol in the tank today and have calculated I'm now getting 28 mpg after changing the fuel filter instead of 20 mpg before... :) and that's not taking into account about 1/3 of the fuel was used with the old filter fitted, and the fact I had, at times, driven the car at far higher revs than I would normally. So it looks like my poor fuel consumption was mainly, if not entirely, down to a dirty fuel filter. I will know for sure when I calculate the mpg I get from the fuel I put in today.