My cams were a tooth out ...

syzsounds

Hi all,

Well finally got round to changing the cam belt today (I bought the car a year and a half ago and it was the first job i was going to do ..Whoops!)

Everything off as normal and lined up the crank marks. The cam wheels say up on them and they were not up. More like 11.57 rather than 12.00 ( i hope you get what i mean ) Meaning as you looked at the cam wheels they were about a tooth out.

Would that have made much difference ?

Would i be right in thinking the cam timing would have been retarded ?

Haven't really had chance to boot it yet and see any difference as i'll let the belt bed in for a bit first.

Oh yeah .. Also found one of the front shocks was damp .. Time for some new ones then :roll:

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

as you look at the cams they are actually as you described approx 11:57.... the main thing is they have the 2 inscribed allignment marks lined up facing each other. your even able to install a pin approx 4-5mm in the camshaft holder on the intake to lock the cam and stop it turning round when installing the belt...then the pulley arrows face more anticlockwise than dead on 12.

the bottom mark on the crank is lined up with the corresponding mark on the block. depending on how you did it this helps if the plastic guard with timing mark was taken off.

as you look at the cams they are actually as you described approx 11:57.... the main thing is they have the 2 inscribed allignment marks lined up facing each other. your even able to install a pin approx 4-5mm in the camshaft holder on the intake to lock the cam and stop it turning round when installing the belt...then the pulley arrows face more anticlockwise than dead on 12.

the bottom mark on the crank is lined up with the corresponding mark on the block. depending on how you did it this helps if the plastic guard with timing mark was taken off.