Help needed Please !

Ianan

Hi Guys, Need some advice on a Bloody iritating problem i've got ( Yep, been to the Doctors about that one ! :lol: ) Seriously tho'. Engine holding back when in 4th/5th when driving normaly, Seems as tho' i need to keep hitting the throttle ??? Changed Plugs/Leads/Dizzy Cap and Rotor arm and still wont run properly. I Can only presume i got to be looking at a fuel issue ( Not enough getting through ? ) In saying that, when accelerating hard she seems good, have noticed in 2nd gear as soon as it hits 4000rpm you get what i can only describe as a power band Kick in, there again i presume this is supposed to occur ? Oh, by the way it's a D15z3

if its only in certain gears then it may be a gearbox problem...hard to beleive though... sounds as if it will drive through smaller gears but struggles to produce combustion under load....

if it revs up freely when car is stationery then more likely something is obstructing the airflow through engine breathing...

exhaust baffles collapsed :?:

Could be worth replacing the fuel filter.

Vtec should be about 2500 in second on the z3 I think and you would hardly feel it. Try an ECU reset and see if any fault codes reappear.

As Weetec says listen for gearbox noises and check for engine breathing issues. I take it the car idles ok and gets up to temp normally?

Fuel filter is next on the list ! Checked the Air filter this morning and yes it was filthy so changed that out. Vtec kicks in at around 3500-4000 and is strong. G/box is fine No issues with it at all. Idling and temp as they should be. How do you go about an ECU reset and do i really need to do this as i've had no fault codes appear.

Thanks to TontVTi for this info,,, 1"£££$££"!!

ECU Reset,,,

After much Googling about resetting the ECU a variety of answers come up. None which seem to fully apply to the MB6 as usual :roll:

Some of the literature says that Honda ECU's have a fuse that says "back up" or a fuse that says "ECU" and you should remove these. The MB6 has both :lol:

After trial and error today I got a good result from the below.

After getting the car warm I shut her down and took out the "ECU fuse 15A" and the "Back Up fuse 7.5A"

Left it 10min

Started the car and just left her idling, you're supposed to leave it till it settles down to a smooth idle, [i left it idling for 10min as the fan activates after a certain point and it gives a chance for the fuel trims to include this].

Shut the car down and started it back up straight away. [This is supposed to save the new fuel trim settings].

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Right i was a bit skeptical about the results of doing this :| proberly the first time this has been done to my VTi since all the mods were done! (& since the mods it has been feeling slower getting flat spots etc etc,,,

But i can not belive the difference it has made (almost unbelievable) i can't stress that enough!!! :o:o:o:o all my flat spots are gone, quicker acceleration, smoother all round, feels completely different in vtec (bit louder) like driving a different car! :D:D:D I'm in shock lol!!! I would recommend everyone to do this! ;);)

Thanks to TontVTi for this info,,, 1"£££$££"!!

ECU Reset,,,

After much Googling about resetting the ECU a variety of answers come up. None which seem to fully apply to the MB6 as usual :roll:

Some of the literature says that Honda ECU's have a fuse that says "back up" or a fuse that says "ECU" and you should remove these. The MB6 has both :lol:

After trial and error today I got a good result from the below.

After getting the car warm I shut her down and took out the "ECU fuse 15A" and the "Back Up fuse 7.5A"

Left it 10min

Started the car and just left her idling, you're supposed to leave it till it settles down to a smooth idle, [i left it idling for 10min as the fan activates after a certain point and it gives a chance for the fuel trims to include this].

Shut the car down and started it back up straight away. [This is supposed to save the new fuel trim settings].

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Right i was a bit skeptical about the results of doing this :| proberly the first time this has been done to my VTi since all the mods were done! (& since the mods it has been feeling slower getting flat spots etc etc,,,

But i can not belive the difference it has made (almost unbelievable) i can't stress that enough!!! :o:o:o:o all my flat spots are gone, quicker acceleration, smoother all round, feels completely different in vtec (bit louder) like driving a different car! :D:D:D I'm in shock lol!!! I would recommend everyone to do this! ;);)

At what point did the fuses go back in ???