Problem with idle revs??? B18c4

Hi lads a quick question, my mates aerodeck has been playing up when idle revving it won't sit still and jumps up and down from 1 to 2 grand all the time as if he's applying a little throttle and letting off, he has changed the idle control valve and there is not lights on the dash indicating a problem :/ a little stuck now as the problem persists, any ideas or advice would be a big help

Many thanks

Matty :)

PCV crank breather may need cleaning.

and as mentioned lambda can cause this issue.

someone who worked on my car broke my lambda, replaced it with universal. car never idled properly. i changed it for another last week myself and its been good as gold since.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I have the same problem and could do with sorting this very soon as its going in for the dreaded mot in a couple of weeks, and have a feeling it will fail on emissions with this fault.

I have checked for vac leaks using wd40 have none,

I have also disconnected the throttle position sensor while it is hunting. Doing this stops the surging although revs just below 2k constantly.

Did we every get to the bottom of this?

btw mines a d14

I think I'm right with this list (most likely first)-

Dirty TB

IACV problem

Lambda o2 sensor issue

Vac leak

As mentioned they're usually the culprits. Is the ECU throwing up any codes,have you tried resetting it?