Ivtec and se ?

Stu_civicsport

Just wanted to no about some think as my mate looking in to buying new Honda he's looking in to buying Honda civic 1.4 tyre s with is i vtec what is I vtec is it real vtec ???? And he look at a se Honda civic what se stand for ???

VTEC/VTC

The i-VTEC system has another unit that works with the VTEC called a VTC (Variable Valve Timing Control). It is situated on the end of the intake camshaft.

This mechanism improves fuel efficiency and reduces exhaust emissions at all levels of engine speed, vehicle speed and engine load.

The VTEC mechanism changes the valve lift and timing by using more than one cam profile. (like ours! ;) )

The VTC changes the phase of the intake camshaft via oil pressure. It also changes the intake valve timing continuously.

So.... At light loaded running (cruising), the VTC is in its Base Position. At this point the cam angle is retarded to reduce the entry of exhaust gas into the intake port and to achieve stable fuel consumption during lean burn.

At medium/high loaded running, the VTC is in its Advance Control position. At this point the VTC advances the cam angle for the EGR effect and to reduce the pumping loss. The intake valve is closed quickly to reduce the entry of the air/fuel mixture into the intake port and improve the charging effect.

At high speed running, the VTC is in its Advance-Base position. At this point the cam phase angle is controlled for optimum valve timing and maximum engine power.

The VTC also reduces the cam advance at idle, stabilizes combustion, and reduces engine speed. If a malfunction occurs, the VTC system is disabled and the valve timing is fixed at the fully retarded position.

VTEC

The VTEC system changes the cam profile to correspond to the engine speed. It maximizes torque at low engine speeds and output at high engine speeds.

So basically, it has the same kind of VTEC as us, but with the added extra of being able to constantly adjust the timing for the best performance at all engine speeds, wether you are booting it or driving normally. this helps the fuel economy, emissions and best of all, performance!! Thats why its called "i-VTEC", the "i" satnds for intelligent!! 8-)