clutch and flywheels

slosei

finally my clutch has given up, so just got a standard clutch for now and got a spoon flywheel.

there are a few different views on light flywheel, just curious to what yous think to a light flywheel? is it worth using?

will it make a noticable difference performance wise and reving up?

for them who have one fitted how much better is your car on fuel lol,

It should make a difference mate. The revs should go up quicker, which is a good thing. The downside being, when you lift off, they'll drop quicker than before aswell, which isn't so good. Performance wise, I'm not too sure what the differences will be. Theres a few on here that have tried them, and also over on hondaclub-uk. Anyone else have any more info on this?

well if you go t0o light you could upset the idle, as dave said a lighter flywheel will increase engine braking, so when you lift off it will feel like someones put the brakes on. best if you drove a car with a lighter flywheel to see if you like it.

on another note when setting off you will need to use the accelerator more otherwise you could stall the engine.

I have to diagree with the above.

I have a ACT lighweight flywheel and clutch kit.

It does not increase engine braking, when you lift off its actually the opposite, the car does not slow down as fast and you will need to use the brake more.

As for idle, there is a small difference, but doesnt make much of a difference.

Revs do rise quiker as response is improved, and drops sightly faster, but nothing a quickshift cant sort out.

The bit about using more throttle when setting off is true, but not really a problem.

Overall i think fitting a lightweight flywheel is logical if you are goin to change your clutch, really does bring more fun to the MB.

Hope this helps.

lol, think my post was misinterpeted...............I meant that revs would drop off quicker, which would be a bit annoying between gearshifts if you were gunning it. But as blames stated, quickshift would help on that front.

Good that we know it's deff a worthwhile mod now though. I always thought it was only really done by folk who had lightened/balanced their engines etc. I feel enlightened lol

it all depends on how light you go

I'm quite light but the missus keeps telling me I need to go on a diet :lol:

well i started the job 6pm fri night, its straight forward but time consuming specially when doing it alone and not on a ramp. finished around 2.30am! drove to top of drive and a drive shaft popped out, i fell out with it till the morning

i didnt fit the shaft in right but it done,

done just over 400 miles no problems,

it dont rev as quick as i wanted well to me it revs up the same lol

one thing for sure though i got few more MPG :D

i poked the cat through as i had the manifold off so it sounding more tinny :cry:

whats the lightest flywheel available??

Zak

hi there

I have got taking them gearboxs off and on to a tee now i can do one with changing the clutch in 2 hours .but i do have a ramp and air tools :D

i got a flywheel from the states with the rest of my parts to build my engine and that was 9.4 kg i think the standard one is 20 kg something.

Archived