Strange unkown noise after big brakes/suspention swap

Raz s

Hi, If you have followed my build thread i have reciently done a big brakes swap and lowered my M. tonight me and a freind took it on its mainden voyage.

There now appears to be a graiting/rumble noise (makes the dash rattle) This only seems at its worst at low speeds. im pretty sure the brakes arnt binding although the hubs themself have been stood for 8 months or so.

So have any of you guys had the same issues? Or what would you suggest checking

I am going to check:-

Any under arch trim rubbing

hub nuts too tight

Im pretty sure its not a wheel bearing issue but i shall check that any way. (Thats what i first thought)

The wheels havnt been balanced yet since the refurb. I wouldnt have thought it could be that could it?

Ill prob post a video tommorow if i get chance.

Cheers chaps

do the pads fit well in the front calipers? and have you got the thin metal shims installed with the pad?

you can get all sorts of strange noises from the brakes without the shims and with ill fitting pads.

• 2 weeks later...

Still no joy with this i am absolutley baffled! Does anyone have any suggestions or past experience advice? as im all out. The noise itself is an intermittent (wurrrr) what makes the dash rattle but seems to get quieter when driven faster (5mph to 35mph its at its worst) its not a binding brake or cv joint 99% sure it aint wheel bearing either. When jack up and wheels turning by the engine the noise doesnt occur but when on its wheels and driving it comes back???????

Check the condition of your tyres (when warmed up as well as cold), have they been stood for any length of time? Also as Tom says check all the brake shields for stones/rubbing. A sticky calliper and no shims might give you some odd noises (other than brake squeal) drive past a mate at 30 and see if they can pinpoint the location of the sound.

Check the condition of your tyres (when warmed up as well as cold), have they been stood for any length of time? Also as Tom says check all the brake shields for stones/rubbing. A sticky calliper and no shims might give you some odd noises (other than brake squeal) drive past a mate at 30 and see if they can pinpoint the location of the sound.

cheers i will check the tyres when i get them back from balancing. I doubt a stone will be lodged as iv taken the rottern sheilds completely off. my pads come with no shims at all. are they available to buy seperatly?

Solved this hopefully. today when i took my wheels for balancing, the bloke said you havn't had any knocking noises have you? I said yes. So he spotted on the inside of one of my tyres it has small flat spots all the way round rather than a circle. Im chuffed now i know its not a wheel bearing and its only a budget tyre anyway. Happy days :D