rear arb correct fitment?

650rob

I was chatting to Dave a few weeks back about getting my rear arb installed. He mentioned something about spacers; so that there isn't too much stress on the frame? Can someone enlighten me even further? I'd also apprecate some pics of it installed, as the previous ones on the forum are kaput.

Cheers

Rob

Here's pictures from my install :) It's mounted by my uncle who is a mechanic. The spacers are put there because the arm should sit at 90 degree. Also he said many cars have oem spacers on their arbs like this. At first I was trying to convince him not to put the spacers as no one on the forum mentioned using spacers. But it turns out this is the correct install and I learned my lesson not to argue with him again :D

P1130640-1.jpg

DSC00055-1.jpg

P1130637-1.jpg

Home made,did not fit on mine and have no probs,also bolts look very long,any proof of failures :?:

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID003099

I am with Andrew here surely looking at the length of those bolts any stress upon them they will sheer off anyway also i had this some bar on 2 x MC2 VTI Aerodecks for roughly 5 years and never had an issue also my brother has it fitted on his VTIS MB6 with no ill effects, but each to their own its slightly floored IMO with such long bolts.

Yes the spacers are home made and longer bolts were used. I'm not sure of the length but they were made to make that 90 degree angle.

My uncle is a mechanic from a long time and has seen a lot of cars, I'm sure he knows what he's doing. I haven't got a problem since the install. Apparently not using spacers works too. Maybe it's not that important what install you will choose.

Yes the spacers are home made and longer bolts were used. I'm not sure of the length but they were made to make that 90 degree angle.

My uncle is a mechanic from a long time and has seen a lot of cars, I'm sure he knows what he's doing. I haven't got a problem since the install. Apparently not using spacers works too. Maybe it's not that important what install you will choose.

I am sure he has seen many cars with ARB's in his day, i just think it adds weak points to the design in the long bolts but as you said he is a mechanic they all have their own ideas of whats right and wrong i know my dad and step dad are both mechanics cant tell them nothing or compare them to one another they both the best in the world :P .

as long as your happy what it matter anyway right.

:geek: could even snap the lug off the lca :o

Note:also the material used for spacer has to be high grade alloy or steel as alloy will soften due to stresses and vibs so will fatigue given time. :ugeek:

;) ps from an ex technician at a well known nofolk car manufactuer :shock: