Engine not warming up

Guest VTI-S

Hi,

Since September my B18C4 has not been warming up properly...In fact with the recent cold weather, when I put the interior heater on, it hardly warms up at all even after half an hour of driving.

I'm guessing it's the thermostat? Anything else it could be?

Is it easy to change the thermostat? And is the part vastly expensive?

Also, the car's battery seems to be on its last legs. Could this be related to the engine not warming up properly? i.e. does the alternator only charge the battery when the engine is over a certain temp or is the alternator always charging? I've checked the alternator when the engine is warm, and it's about 14V. Too cold to check recently though.

Many thanks.

Yeah it could be your thermostat mate, and as for your alternator, its does charge all the time!! The cold weather can take its toll on your battery, i'd say take it to a kwikfit to get your battery checked, but they will just try to sell you one whether you need one or not!!! :twisted::lol:

Yeah it could be your thermostat mate, and as for your alternator, its does charge all the time!! The cold weather can take its toll on your battery, i'd say take it to a kwikfit to get your battery checked, but they will just try to sell you one whether you need one or not!!! :twisted::lol:

Nice one Jal, thanks.

Is the thermostat easy to get to? I remember replacing the thermostat in my Volvo a few years back, ended up breaking the housing in half... :oops:

i hate working on cars in the cold.

Its on the left hand side of the head at the back, kind of above the back of the gearbox as you look at it. Its not to bad to get to, i think its held on by 2 10 mm bolts. And iirc, the thermostat is around the £20 mark from Honda, probably cheaper from a motor factors if you wanna save some dosh!! ;)

Check your temp guage. It should heat up within 1 minute of steady driving to the first marker then up to under half way after about 5-6 mins of further driving. If your guage takes ages to reach the first notch then your thermostat is locked in the open position. If it heats up super quick and goes above half marker then its stuck closed. Either way it needs changed. Follow the bottom rad hose as it leads to the housing where the stat is. A stat from motor factors should set you back max £15. As for the altenator it charges as soon as you've cranked the engine and has no bearing on your temps. Hope this helps.

Check your temp guage. It should heat up within 1 minute of steady driving to the first marker then up to under half way after about 5-6 mins of further driving. If your guage takes ages to reach the first notch then your thermostat is locked in the open position. If it heats up super quick and goes above half marker then its stuck closed. Either way it needs changed. Follow the bottom rad hose as it leads to the housing where the stat is. A stat from motor factors should set you back max £15. As for the altenator it charges as soon as you've cranked the engine and has no bearing on your temps. Hope this helps.

That's very helpful, thanks Jalesi and mb6vti. I'm glad my thermostat is stuck in open rather than closed. Mind you, driving on the motorway it stays stuck in freezing cold position.

• 2 months later...

I is having same problemz wit mine. I will get a new thermostat also and see if this helps. I notice also engine idle is not normal, and read in other thread thermostat can cause this. My mb6 haz been like this since I bourght it, so glad i find this site. Good info and also correct info. 8-)

thank you

Sanj

Archived