Rescuing the MC2. End of one chapter, sold.

Karjis

I promised at new members section, that I'll start a project topic about my deck, and now I believe it's really a project. (And it's a project left out of hands..)

Here it is in condition where i bought it. I somehow strongly dislike those black chinese el cheapo wheels, which are twice as heavy as original 15" wheels. That rear end isn't naturally sitting that low, it's because trunk is full of car parts, original intake and exhaust manifolds, ecu, some parts of resonator chamber and one set of winter wheels. :)

summerdeck.jpg

First thing was that exhaust was in bad shape, it also had a notice from yearly inspection that exhaust was leaking at rear silencer. With closer look, welding was rotted on both sides of silencer. After 500 km drive with quite loud exhaust the rear end after silencer literally fell off :lol:

I ordered and installed middle and rear pieces from Supersprint, so exhaust is fine now. At the same time I changed SRS exhaust manifold back to OEM manifold, just to get some ground clearance under the engine. That SRS manifold was already dented and had taken some contact with speed bumps.

More problematic thing was that engine was burning oil, it had blue smoke behind the car when revving on vtec, so I changed valve stem seals and that blue smoke wasn't showing at the mirrors anymore. On a same time I also changed cam seals and all seals to valve cover. I also cleaned oil pan and changed the seal, it was dripping a bit.

Some previous owner had changed gear knob to "Type-R style" metal gear know, which I replaced with original leather know. Hrr it was horrible. There was also aluminium pedal covers, which I removed during first month and replaced those with original rubber pads. Those "tuning parts" are now where they belong, in a metal scrap bin. [smash.gif]

Winter pic is already seen in new members section but here it is again, all in one place now on. If you pay attention to details, you see that in first pic the roof is black and in winter pic it's original. Roof was luckily covered with vinyl, not paint. It took me about one hour to peel that quite scratched vinyl off with a help of a hairdryer. Paint under that vinyl was in a really mint condition, so I think that vinyl was put on when the car was quite new.

suv2.jpg

I've already bought another set of original alloys, but those needs new paint before installing. That's waiting for warmer weather.

I think I'm not doing much for the exterior, only just cleaning and waxing detailer.gif1

Okay, some painting also needed, but it's almost detailing. Driver side (LHD car, so the front door you see in pics) has small dent outwards, it might be a bit tricky to repair. There was chunk of ice formed near the lower hinge, and door was opened, so it dented the door outwards. Also damaged the paint so It needs to be fixed. It is actually visible in both pics, but it's just so small that it can't be seen with resolution that small. :?

Bigger work is also needed with boot lid, previous owners haven't put any rust prevention to boot lid interior, so lower side is corroded. It's not visible outside but it's quite awful inside. I also think that there is need for at least soda blasting and painting for some little bits on floor before it get's worse under the car.

Mainly real faults with the car is the drivers door dent, rust on boot lid and the oil consumption. My attitude for this car has been from the start, that I might need to do some work on both, the engine and the body. I'm trying to make this car fun to drive, not any museum artpiece 8-)

But still, I'm sticking with quite stock look and I don't want to break anything.

This looks like a good save 8-) those aftermarket wheels looked poor- could they not even bother to paint behind the centre caps :?

I bet the alloy knob was not good in Finland, love having my leathery old Momo knob this time of year (it reminds me to stop being a JDM fashion victim and only do mods that make the car better). Had no idea Supersprint did stuff for the 'deck, Looking at their site it seems they have every model covered, good looking kit too (if a little pricey).

Yeap that alloy knob wasn't nice even during autumn. Now during winter it would be really annoying, at least when I don't like to use gloves when driving, no matter how cold it is :D

Last friday was a good test for the car. On morning when going to work it felt quite cold, but didn't pay so much attention to that. Jumped to my car and started it, it was somehow slow start, but started still with just like two sec cranking. I realised that something was not normal when revs rose really slowly. I got up and wen't to take engine heater lead of the socket, clock was frozen so I haven't had any heating to engine before starting. At work (2km away) At work I looked at thermometer and it was -26 Celcius.

As background, we usually have electric outlets on almost every rented parking place on residential/office buildings, with some kind of timers. On my parking place there is old mechanical 24 hour clock, and it seems that it might freeze stuck sometimes.. I have Defa engine block heater, it's located under exhaust manifold and it's warming coolant during winter. Quite low power (500 ish watts) but with 1-2 hours it gets engine to hand warm temperatures and it starts easily with less wear.

But okay, that showed that at least fuel injection and electrics are in good shape. No trouble from -26C with old battery (actually original Honda-battery ... so it's from '98, WACK11111 ).

• 3 weeks later...

I finally found and bought an ITR Airbox. [smitten.gif]

Just waiting for playing hide and seek with UPS courier, they are fast if they shouldn't be and really slow if you are waiting for them.

Last weekend also gave the car a wash, and it took about 50 km so a bit over half an hour to get dirty again, I hate road salt.. :x

Couple weeks ago I broke the oil filler cap, don't drop it during winter, it will fall to pieces.. But luckily one car dismantler had oil cap and also radio antenna which was in mint condition.

Still to come:

I'm also working on my summer rims on balcony, (another set of originals), bought can of Nitromors but now I just need warmer weather to remove the old paint. Now it has been from 0 to -10 degrees later days, a bit too cold to work at the balcony.

Might also have couple tricks in my sleeve for the engine but I won't reveal those yet.

Because it's winter, and somehow I miss my old MB3 I planned to put couple winter pictures about that, MC2 will never be that fast on ice because of wider wheels and harder suspension. But okay it takes everything back when roads are dry. :D

Some Ice track driving on lake ice, if you look at the tracks, that Saab driver did pull that corner wide with saab-like understeer trying to keep up, from winter 2011.

icetrack.jpg

And another fun thing, slow speed slalom on snowy parking lot against the clock, 2009 with 195/55 15" winter wheels, didn't work that well so next winter I returned to 14 inch during winter.

slalom2.jpg

Aand return to start with quite tight line, with slow speed I mean that last corner was driven like 20mph with 2nd gear. First gear is just too aggressive compared to that grip. 2010 winter with 175/65 R14 GoodYear UltraGrips.

slalom1.jpg

But that's enough with that, within week I promise something new with Aerodeck.

PS. I think I broke the photos somehow.. I try to get colours visible this evening :D

[smitten.gif] Yeh, I love my Type R air box ;)

I hope I'll love the ITR Box too, can't wait it to arrive. I got the idea from your and noodels projects ;)

btw I just realised that I might not get a filter to it from local parts store.. I might need to go with K&N, don't want to double the price of every filter change for postage :P

Oh and 6 Hamp oil-filters arrived last week. WACK11111

Did you not get the integra type r over there then :shock:

Yes we did, but it's really rare so you basically have to get everything separately ordered, nothing on the stock. And mostly only parts available are parts which are shared with Civics.

For some reason Honda is really often removing models from price lists here if it's not selling "enough", good example is modern (FK?) Honda Civic with Diesel engine, they removed it from the list after couple of years, after first facelift. Now you can't have it, only I-dtec to Accord or CR-V.