Rescuing the MC2. End of one chapter, sold.

Karjis

And day 3 is over.

All valves cleaned, springs changed, lost motion springs changed to Skunk 2 ones.

Head is on but tightening the bolts is what is first thing tomorrow.

I tried to open bolt at the end of crankshaft. No luck yet. Had only 55cm wrench so with my weight it makes about 400Nm as torque. Not opening yet. But tomorrow it will..

Day 4 started early

I tried using 3/4" Fein electric impact wrench to open the bolt at the end of crankshaft. It did not move! Specs stated that it should have 750Nm of torque, but I think that rental machine was worn out and not having the power anymore. Well but at least I woke up the neighbours trying to open the bolt with the impact wrench at 7:20 am. [smash.gif] 

But well.. head bolts on to make some progress.

• Like 1

Day 4 ended without opening the bolt. Engine is almost fully assembled except the valve cover and timing belt. Also camshafts are just lifted to its place without tightening any bolts so all valves stay closed. That's so I won't damage any valves if engine rotates.   

Because I did not get the bolt to open. Now work started again so I can visit garage only in weekends. I'll get a good 3/4" pneumatic impact wrench to open the bolt.  I also tried with one meter long breaker bar, but I just broke all the tools I tried to lock the pulley in place. 

But okay, impact wrench powerful enough + heat is the next option. 

Then after that fight with the bolt next thing is just to tighten all bolts keeping camshafts in place, replace the timing belt and put the covers on. Then I just need to add oil and coolant. 

But now deck is sitting in garage and waiting for next weekend.

• 3 weeks later...

Big enough tools found.

So.. 3/4" Atlas Copco impact wrench, with 1/2" air hose and 8bar pressure finally the crankshaft bolt opened.

And after that big obstacle was out, I got rest of the things done.

- New spark plugs

- New fluids filled

- New timing belt (Honda) & tensioner (Koyo)

- New auxliary belts (Gates)

- Everything  assembled.

And biggest thing today:

- Test start done!

Tomorrow (today.. it's 2:47 am here..) it's time for test drive.

Yeap!

I've driven about 200 kilometers today, runs strong and no additional noises or anything like that. Runs smoother and pulls stronger now. No information about oil consumption yet, but hope it won't burn oil anymore. If it does I don't know what to do :D

Sound is awesome with B18C6 pistons and camshafts. The ROARRR when hitting vtec, it's not actually louder than with stock cams but now the sound is just more powerful. [smitten.gif] And during normal driving it pulls hard also, no loss of mid-rev power. Of course I drove somewhat carefoully because bearings are new, it was already driven 150km before trying to hit vtec even the first time.

Amazing and fun because it just picks up speed at highway cruising so easily.

Feeling of torque might have something to do that I still have B18C4 stock-exhaust manifold. I had 4-1 manifold but it is awful and also ruined because two lowest pipes are bent because of speed bump. 

So I think I'm losing lots of high end power now because my exhaust mani is restricting. I've been thinking and tried to think differences between ITR stock manifold and Supersprint 4-2-1 manifold. But we'll see! .. Soon I think. 

And NIKH, amount of torque is just where you compare the engine. Real figures aren't known now or not in near future, maybe later. :) 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm silent but haven't stopped working with the car. :D

I finally bought the throttle wire pulley from MA..something, but still version where throttle wire leaves the throttle body to the manifold direction. Not outside like in B18C4 normally does. Now the "upwards-model" bracket is making it impossible to install the front strut support like it should.

So next job would be installing the pulley, Integra throttle cable and of course bracket for throttle cable. All parts are with me and shouldn't be a big job. Pics will follow after the job is done.

I'm also trying to get essential winter supplies for my car. It's german import so it lacks such basic things like heated seats and mirrors. I got heated mirrors from scrapyard (from MB3) but because mirror case is black, I have to change the heated mirror glasses to my current body coloured mirror cases. I'll post more when I get the job done also.. :D 

Reasonable priced supplies for heated seats are still not found. I need lots of parts, buttons (between AC and Recirculation buttons, those two blanks were seat heaters in my old MB3), relay boxes and seat heater wire harnesses also. Not to mention heated seats where I can remove the heater elements and wire for installing to MC2 seats. Scrapyard MB3 lacked heated seats so it wasn't helping. 

Sounds like you're going to be busy then, somebody on here has done the heated seats, I think it might've been Mikefoto.

Yeap I checked how it was done from factory in my old MB3. Just need to find a suitable wreck to donate parts. :)