Civic is dead...

fridazadilak

Hi guys,

Went to start my MC2 Aerodeck this morning and it would start on the key but add soon as you let go of the key it dies. After a lot of head scratching and forum searching I've hopefully tracked it down to a knackered ignition switch. There's fuel getting through so it's not the fuel cutoff and if the key is held in the start position it runs, albeit smokey as hell and the starter isn't having much fun!

Took the column apart to get to the ignition switch and it looks alright but one bit of solder looks a bit melted. Ordered a new one from Honda and decided I would start figuring out how to replace it. The four wires off the switch have been spliced into with two red wires which go to a birds nest of wires that's been tucked up by the fusebox. The birds nest has a mini jack, inline fuse holders and cut wires sticking out...what the hell is it?!

I'll get photos up in a sec...just uploading them...

Dan

whatever it was it is obvioulsly now disconnected so i see no reason why it should have been left

I would check that there are no more foreign wires going somewhere else from it if not then removing it would be a good option

Make sure that all the oem wires look correct after its more than likely that someting in that mess has crossed (the black wire hanging with bare wires did you take off or was it loose it may of been soldered to the burnt

bit and come away causing a short)

Cheers for the replies guys!

I think that black wire would've been the earth for an alarm box out something...it was already disconnected when I found the mess of wires.

I don't know who fitted it, I noticed on the last MoT that the previous mileages shows that between 2009 and 2011 it only did 1200 miles. Unfortunately I've put almost double that on it in less than 2 months! But it did fly through the MoT on Tuesday with only two advisories about play in the steering rack and the handbrake.

IT'S ALIVE!!

The part came in today so I ripped the old crap out:

IMG_20130219_131906_zps997aa2d8.jpg

Something that might be useful to know if anyone else has this trouble is that the new switch didn't have the cable to power the little red light that illuminates the key hole so you have to reuse the old one and put a couple more spade connectors into the new chocolate block connector piece.

Managed to change the ht leads, plugs and dizzy while it was immobile too so next is an oil and filter change.

• Like 1