what fits on an aerodeck

samwell

Just bought a Civic aerodeck and I want to improve the handling and hopefully drop it at the same time but thats not essential. I want to know what OEM springs and shocks I can use to do that. As in, what hondas where fitted with shorter struts than a D series 99 Aerodeck. I really wanna stick to factory parts just due to cost associated with buying reputable aftermarket bits.

Just thinking of models which had sporty versions around the same time, prelude, accord, mb6.

And just to confirm, 4*114.3?

Thanks,

Sam

Hi Sam. If it's not a vti or vti-s aerodeck, then the pcd will be 4 x 100. This is the same as all the other honda civics, so wheel wise theres tons out there that fit. Springs wise, not too sure what springs will fit the m series. If I remember correctly, the teg typeR may fit, maybe jalesi can confirm this. If it's just the springs you're after, then koni and eibach do spring kits for them. As long as you're not looking for better handling, then just a spring kit will lower it no probs. If you want better handling as well as looks, then a spring kit alone won't really achieve this. The price will be pretty reasonable for just the kit ;)

Sorry guys but not sure, think the teg and civic have similar part numbers for the shockers and springs, but Ive never tried to fit the wrong shockers to any car!! You dont get to do interesting jobs like that working in a main dealer!! :(:lol: They definitely look very similar to, but can comfirm for sure!

I spose 4*100 is good as it gives me lots of options but i really like some of the old jap wheels which are mostly 114.

Long run I am considering b16 route which is assume means i will fit vti-s brake and struts just because Ive got the engine swap bug.

I do definitely want better handling not just lower. I was just hoping something like the teg suspension will fit because it would make it more affordable.

Suspension from something lighter like that would give me nice low ride height but dunno if the dampers would be up to it.

Guess its just try it and see as you say guys. Might buy some oem springs from a breakers and cut em just to see if its worth lowering, don't yet know if the look I want is at all possible.

woha! Deff do not cut the springs!! This is an old (and dangerous) mod from way back. Not only will you struggle to get the car sitting evenly, the ride will be ruined and also the handling will suffer too. The worst case would be the springs becoming dislodged, with dramatic results! Also, bearing in mind that all mods have to be declared to your insurer, like fitting lowering springs etc, I doubt any insurer would touch a car that has had "cut down" springs on it mate.

Price up a spring/shocker kit from one of our traders, see if theres something you can afford. Remember to mention "Hondaclub-uk.com" to get your discount ;) If you havent registered on our sister site, do it now! That way you can benefit from discounts for being a hondaclub-uk member 8-)

Hope this helps.

Dave

I second that mate, cutting springs is a definite NO NO!!! Also, like i have said on other posts, if the civic and teg shockers/springs have a very similar part number, and turn out to fit, it doesnt mean that it will improve the car. Just because a part comes from a sporty type R, it doesnt necessarily mean its better! I know that may sound stupid but trust me, you would be suprised what parts are used on different models that are actually the same!! A good example of this is rear disks for my VTI are the same as a newer EU type civic 1.6 base model. You wouldnt expect a sporty VTI would have the same brakes as a base family Civic!!!

I rekon Dave is right, save your pennies and do it properly, get a spring/shocker kit fitted thats made for the job, them you know its gonna be done right and most of all SAFE! You really dont want suspension problems while traveling down the road..... :shock:;)

i think what i suggested was buying another set of springs from a breakers yard or such like and cutting them to have a look at various ride heights, to help me select the drop (if i can't afford adjustables that is) and to see if its even worth doing because I have never seen one thats been decked. I'm sure you guys would like to see one on its arse, just for shiggles really.

I'm ware of the dangers of cutting spring but as long as they are secure (cable ties etc ;) ) and long enough to still be in compression with the strut at full height then there is little to go wrong. Except blow your shocks up...

Either way I wasn't going drive with it on cut springs, just do some height adjustable calculations. Look at camber and such like.

Sam

Ha Ha, fair enough mate, i have seen some horror stories in my time with people doing DIY suspension mods, didnt want any of our members putting them selves at risk! Yeah, if you can lower the aero then be sure to get some pics up, im sure there are a lot of members who would be interested to see it!! 8-)

just seen this brake upgrade on ebay. If i could knock him down I'd be really tempted as those brakes look heavy duty. Not rly been to impressed with the ones on mine but a similar question to above... will it fit? I'm aware that the PCD on these is 4*114.3 and mine is 4*100 but I've spied some wheels I fancy in the 114 flavour.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Honda-Civic-1-8-VTI-S-FULL-Brake-Caliper-Disc-Kit_W0QQitemZ380118723173QQihZ025QQcategoryZ10386QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262#ht_926wt_1168

Hopefully that link works. If you go in this guys shop, plenty of VTI-S bits going in case anyones interested. I was thinking about buying the suspension but I know it won't get me low enough.

Sam

Archived