VTi turning over but won't start

JaredMac

Hi Guys, my VTi has been off the road for around 6 months. I’ve decided that I’m putting it on the road again, so have been doing some work over the past week or so.

I’ve been running the car up and down the driveway to move it up onto ramps etc but it was needing jump started with jump leads as it had been sitting for so long, so a couple of days ago, I took the battery out to charge it overnight.

With the battery fully charged yesterday, I put it back in the car and tried to start it up... nothing. It is turning over fine and is fuelling, but there’s no spark.

The only thing that’s changed since the last day it was running and yesterday, was that the battery was taken out, charged, then put back in.

Is there something I have maybe done that’s causing this?

I really don’t understand as I’ve done this a few times before without issue...

Any help is hugely appreciated chaps!

might be a long shot but when was the dizzy cap and arm last changed, it can work one day and not the next, sometimes it can help doing it at a warmer time of day, cleaning the contacts up with sandpaper or spraying a little wd40 inside the cap.

TBH I've had the car for 2 and a half years and hasn't been changed since I've had it, not sure if the previous owner had...

One thing I did notice was that one of the Ignition leads connected to the dizzy was b****red, the connector was pretty much dust lol even then, I would have expected it to start on 3 cylinders...

I'm getting some new leads next week, but in the meantime, I'll do what you suggest see if we get anywhere. Anything's worth a try at this point lol

• 2 weeks later...
scrap it

:lol: that's constructive! [smash.gif]

yeah, agree with one of the comment's but it aint the top one, and judgin by the user name, pugpug, he or she, either love's these,

Peugeot.jpg

or

Gadget_the_pug_expressive_eyes.jpg

[smash.gif][smash.gif][smash.gif][smash.gif][smash.gif][smash.gif]

as for the OP issue with it not turning over. and not firing up, my money is on the dizzy, well the ingniterin side the dizzy, at minium i'd replace that, but, tbh if the dizzy cap and rotor arm have no history or replacement, i'd get a recon/new one just to be safe, when i needed mine doing i went here http://www.ignitioncarparts.co.uk/Default.aspx i'd replace the lead's any way due to the condition their in and the park plug's as a matter of course.

sounds like when my dizzy went as well.

PHIL - have you swapped the cap / rotor since changing the dizzy? i got mine from there, and the rotor didn't have a screw, was just wedged on... called them to check how the take kit off, and he said it should just slide off... it ended up in lots of bits!!!

also, new blue print cap is too big, so need to get back in touch with ICP to ask what's going on.

so I'm now waiting for a screw from honda (£1.60 or summat) with a new rotor and the old cap [smash.gif]

hahaha PugPug is my best mate Dar, he's got a really nice Pug 306 GTi-6! Any chance to slag off Hondas eh... :lol:

He's been helping me a lot with the car getting her MOT worthy again so I suppose I'll let him off... for now

Have replaced the leads with some nice new magnecors :)

Took the dizzy cap off and tbh everything looks like new, but of course looks can be deceiving...

Was kindly sent the link to the Civic Manual, so we've had a read through and I think possibly tomorrow we are going to be prodding at the Dizzy with a multimeter and see what's what...

Cheers for the input guys, really hope it's something easy :roll: