rust :(

fyfie5

right, i have a slight bit of rust that has been creeping up on me over the winter on the drivers rear arch and i was wondering what sandpaper would be best for sanding it down and how i would go about repainting it as im quite an amatuer with paint etc but i do know its all in the prep ;) thanks

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take a few pics of it so people can advice you easier :D:D

I will be doing the rust on my wing tomorrow (wednesday) i shall be posting before during and after pics of what i do and what i use this should help you a bit

im no expert either but i had a go at it many many cars ago and found that if you take your time its actually quite easy

I am going to remove rust, treat it to stop it coming back or spreading, fill the hole it will leave, then primer it ready for top coat (primer is pretty failsafe to do but top coat requires skills you may want to get sombody else to do that stage but i would say if you have an old panel or something else you can practice on give it a go and see how you get on) :D:D

i got the bodyshop to do mine (sand down and treat) about 18 months ago but the rust has come back to revenge itself so i would say cut out and replace....

i got my replacement arches for around £25-30 each side from imperial panels and to get them fitted anywhere from £160-£300 depending on where you take your car

i got the bodyshop to do mine (sand down and treat) about 18 months ago but the rust has come back to revenge itself so i would say cut out and replace....

i got my replacement arches for around £25-30 each side from imperial panels and to get them fitted anywhere from £160-£300 depending on where you take your car

how much did it cost to get them sanded and treated? as ideally i would like to do that for now as in 18 months im not sure if i will still have the car or not.

i got it done when i got the car resprayed bud... to treat the rusted area i think you will be looking at around 3 hours work so it could be £90...... but take it to a local body repair shop and 9 times out of 10 someone will do it for a back hander/beer tokens ;)