POOR FUEL ECONOMY

zoomvti

Best I managed to a tank was 424ish miles! That was with an MB6

:o I dont even manage anywhere near that in an mb3.

I've never got anywhere near that from my MC2 :)

But then I don't drive like my Nan! :lol:

x2 and if you're aiming for 42mpg you're clearly not using it properly. :twisted:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best I managed to a tank was 424ish miles! That was with an MB6

:o I dont even manage anywhere near that in an mb3.

I've never got anywhere near that from my MC2 :)

But then I don't drive like my Nan! :lol:

It about killed me to get that out of it! Was from Nottingham to Edinburgh, then got to some single track roads north of Perth and then got lost and had to find fuel :lol:

The Plan is to do lots of hypermiling, I managed 47mpg out of my ED7 1616 civic once and that engine is very highly strung so I am hoping I can at least break 40mpg with my MC2.

SO far the measures I have put in place are as follows:

Do not go above 3000rpm

Block change from 1st to 3rd to 5th

Tyre pressures are at 34psi all round

Coasting out of gear down hills and to junctions and depending on length of coast I switch the engine off aswell.

These techniques all worked very well with my ed7 so hopefully they will have a good effect on the 1.8... we will see though ;)

The newer cars use zero fuel when coasting in gear, I think the MC2 may be in the age range that do, but you could always trial and error!

Anticipation is always key, knowing the sequence of traffic lights in places you drive to on a regular basis can help as you'll know not to gather too much speed or you can keep a steady slower pace so you know you won't need to brake!

I also try to use 'the racing line' to smooth out as many bends as possible (Without drifting lanes though!).

Got any pictures of the ED7? 8-)

Should easily make 40mpg from the MC2 though! Just as easily drop it to 20mpg and less if you wanted! :lol:

well I calculated my mpg reading from first tank of fuel and it came to...... Bearing in mind this is my first tank of gas and I have been tempted by vtec many times and air con has been on nearly constantly... 38.57 mpg ;)

Over the moon and sure I can hit at least 43mpg with no vtec and air con. Autotrader mpg rating for these cars is well off!

Pretty impressive! How many miles did you get from the tank?

Just a tip to help you out, you can (If you're feeling brave) run the tank so the needle is completely below empty! :lol:

imag1006g.jpg

Pretty impressive! How many miles did you get from the tank?

Just a tip to help you out, you can (If you're feeling brave) run the tank so the needle is completely below empty! :lol:

imag1006g.jpg

x2 it goes well below the line after the light comes on!