engine oil

Nav

Fully synthetic is the best oil out there but on cars that have had half synthetic for years it can potentially create increased oil consumption. If the engine has some internal dirt it might come loose due to the better performing synthetic oil which can cause all sorts of problems.

I'm not saying that this is always the case but it can happen. I've read that when you want to go from half synthetic to full it's best to change the first batch of full synthetic after a couple hundred kilometers to take out any dirt that came loose.

• 2 weeks later...

i recently bought my car and on the service history the last oil used was 0w30??

im about to service my car and i'v bought 5w30, are these oils too thin for it?

i barely have to top up the oil, been driving for about 3 months

btw I've been using the Castrol Magnatec 10w-40 since like 3 years ago, but about half a year ago it disappeared from the shop where I always purchase it (cause it's very cheap there) and the only thing they have in 10w-40 from Castrol is the CASTROL GXL 10W - 40 (similary priced as the magnatec)

Is it the same oil just renamed? Or should I find a new shop selling the magnatec?

I started using the 10w-40 because my Honda dealer was putting in Castrol Softec TXT 5w-40 and I wanted something a bit thicker since my engine was leaking (on my old vti) and also consuming lot of oil so it was expensive with the fully-synth 5w-40 being 50% more expensive than semi-synth 10w-40 castrol. Strange that they use 5w-40 instead of 10w-40 that is recommended as I later found out.

My new vti has been on the 10w-40 since I have it (changed it immediately after purchase since I wanted to be sure I know what oil is in) and while not leaking still it consumes some. I have to top up the oil as others probably 1litre a month.

Btw a friend of mine is buying oil for his car (not honda) from some oil dealer (that sells oil only so he should know his stuff) and he was saying my friend that Castrol is actually buying the oil from whoever sells him at the best price, so Castrol oil is not always from the same digger as with some other brands. So you actually pay extra for Castrol even though the oil is from some other brand. Anyone have more info about it? I still keep buying Castrol cause I service my car at Honda and would feel little embarassed if I brought them something cheap for a service....I buy the oil elsewhere and they change it for me...I save lot of money by buying it elsewhere...it costs almost twice as much in Honda...I used to do that even with my old vti when I was still putting the 5w-40 (about 3 years ago) same as my Honda dealer was putting in and they charged about 18,5gbp for a litre and in opel service like 2 miles away from Honda it was just 10gbp...with the 10w-40 I use now I have to buy it elsewhere anyway since Honda doesn't even sell it and in opel it costs me just 8gbp per litre and used to be even a bit cheaper before at 7gbp..they've raised the price over the few months

lol, just found eshop still selling the magnatec 10w-40 for 5gbp per litre...even a bit cheaper if you take the whole carton of 12x1l. So will probably order the whole carton of 12 bottles.

i recently bought my car and on the service history the last oil used was 0w30??

im about to service my car and i'v bought 5w30, are these oils too thin for it?

i barely have to top up the oil, been driving for about 3 months

0w30 is what the new current Honda's use, so if it was a dealer they may have used that. A bit annoying, as i now have to buy my own oil, cant nick it from work!!! :lol: 0w30 is too thin bud, as for 5w30, again its too thin for what Honda recommend, but is better than the 0w30!! If you can i would always use a decent quality 10w40 oil in them, Honda recommend Castrol products, but there are a few decent makes out there as you know. In my local Asda store, they sell 4 litres of 10w40 Castrol for around £20, which is pretty cheap for good oil, so thats what I tend to use. Beats Halfords price anyway!! ;)

Archived