Timing belt

Roylewaa

Yep it was shocking, he only had it a month, was doing 65 then heard a sharp shwwwpp noise and all dash lights came on

All 16 valves bent, was fixed under warranty but it was never right afterwards, had an awful tap on the engine so he part x'd it :)

I'm at 115k so that original belt is doing well lol

Pretty sure it's an interference engine, so best to get it changed.

Don't need to do the tensioners or the water pump unless you want to.

PM John Banks in the Trader section, he has a good price for cambelts. :)

I've worked for honda as a tech for 12 years now and have changed 100's of belts, many on the D series and B series engines,I can count on one hand how many have needed water pumps or have had failed water pumps on a d series and also the same goes for the tensioner.

Yes they are a interference engine unfortunately and the belt should be changed every 75k or 7 years. Hope this helps :)

Also the crank bolt is normaly around 180nm, a realy good snap on gun will get them off but make sure there done back up just as tight. We have a special tool at work which is a massive hexagonal tool that fits inside the crank pulley it's self ( if you look at it it'll have a hexagonal shape in the middle) thats what holds the pulley in place so you can undo the bolt......I'm sure the tool must be available by now to buy :) good luck!

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice chaps

Out of curiosity Paul, have you had many Hondas come in with a snapped belt?

2 that I can remember,one was because a nut that got caught behind the cam belt cover and the other was a failed belt (it shredded itself to bits) possibly a non gen belt. As a dealer don't forget we don't see many of the older cars nowadays but I know alot of people in the trade and I've never heard story's of it happening. Hell I've owned 9 Hondas with either D series or B series engines and I've never had a problem :) there bullet proof if looked after.

I'm pretty sure still to this day Honda claim that they've never had a vtec engine go bang or blow up for any reason if the service schedule is adhered too....... :o

• 4 weeks later...

i bought my civic 4 years ago and i had the timing belt water pump and tensioner done.  Got various quotes one was £400 as mechanic said it was hard to do.  i fecked him off straight away.  went to the guy who does ,my tyres and he did it for £240.  he said i didnt need to do the tensioners as they are bullet proof but said for the little extra its worth it for piece of mind.  also as the honda mechanics on here say and every mechanic i speak to inc the local mot tester they reckon the d engine is the best ever built and apart from servicing it it rarely goes wrong.  i have the 1.4 and ive had my 900 quids worth and some out of it.  at its last mot the guy said that is one of the best cars ive seen for its age in a long time.  keep it as long as you can.  one thing d engines like is regular oil changes.