How much stick can a D14 take?

skitzma8

Just wondering how much abuse my D14A2 can take in my MA? As I am going to swap it out for a more powerful unit at some point. So I just want to know how long it will last with a heavy foot. (I do maintain the engine fully with regular servicing etc.) I have heard that the D-series engine is a tuff old unit.

My D14Z4 gets some stick, and long as it's looked after with regular decent quality oil changes you can kick its head in to your hearts content

I never thrash mine from cold though:)

IMO you have to be heavy footed with the 1.4 to keep up with modern traffic anyway :)

NIKH25. Its not the same as any other engine... My mates got a punto, he doesn't rag it, always well serviced with decent oil etc, and its forever causing him problems and breaking down... I always let my engine get up to temp before I give it some, and after I drive it hard I always let it idle for a minute or to before I switch it off.

Well I just came back after a drive and the car seems to run better after I have been driving it hard for a bit :D I even showed up a guy in a 57 plate merc CLK 220 cdi trying to race me on a quiet road (the look on his face when I passed him made my day haha)

NIKH25. Its not the same as any other engine... My mates got a punto, he doesn't rag it, always well serviced with decent oil etc, and its forever causing him problems and breaking down... I always let my engine get up to temp before I give it some, and after I drive it hard I always let it idle for a minute or to before I switch it off.

Ah, probably should have said any Japanese engine. Probably include German too.

Sounds like you're doing the right things.

Just wondering how much abuse my D14A2 can take in my MA? As I am going to swap it out for a more powerful unit at some point. So I just want to know how long it will last with a heavy foot. (I do maintain the engine fully with regular servicing etc.) I have heard that the D-series engine is a tuff old unit.

At least one million miles, don't worry about it. It will not be what finishes off your MA8; the engine will far outlast the rest of the car.

My wife has a Punto, it's pretty reliable generally (and a bit s**te obviously but in a good way  :wink: ).

My MA8 is only on 108k miles which is nothing for a D-series, I've not long got back in from going tracks as soon as I pulled up in the car park people were coming over and going is that a B18 etc... NO! its just a 1.4 LoL they were even doing a reg check on it haha! Noone would belive me, they saying it sounds and goes a lot more than a 1.4, but then again I am a pretty confident driver and know how to get the most out of what I drive. I've been able to drive a car from about the age of 10!