Engine transplants, how do they work?

knightmaric

I can totally understand why you'd want to do an engine transplant if you want something different and a challenging project.

If you just want more power, then there are much better ways of doing it (mods, turbo, supercharger, changing block to same family but bigger size (B20 block replacing a B18 for example).

If you do go for a transplant, say a K20A into the MB6, it'll be quite a lot of work - the engine will certainly fit, but there'll be a lot of things to be considered:

- Engine and gearbox mounts likely need custom made

- Fabrication to the subframe to get the engine (and driveshafts) where you want them

- Driveshafts with CTR splines at one end, and MB6 splines at the other (unless you change uprights, bearings, brake disks, calipers pads...that's another world)

- Loom + ECU, plus instrument cluster gauges

- Exhaust system from scratch

- Standard CTR airbox probably won't go where it should - custom pipe

- Air conditioning and power steering (CTR/K20A cars use electric power steering so no engine-driven pump)

It's certainly doable, as is anything with the right skill, time and money...but the benefits may well not be worth the effort.

....if you're going to do it, you may as well get an S2000 block (RWD!)...or an NSX lump in there!!!

:lol:

Yeah that's my view too...it'd be nice to do it purely for the sake of being different, but you may as well just paint your engine pink and fit a urinal in the back seat if being different is the plan.

..hey now there's an idea ;-)

I think it makes more sense in older cars like Mk2 Golfs which can handle a bit more power, and the stock engine choices were limited - 1.8Ts sit nicely into cars like that. Most Honda's came with the option of a good engine so just buying a factory spec car is usually easier.

yer that true stoo but lets face it some times you just want to do something mental just to show it can be done :lol::lol: and or to make a car that should of been made if you get what i mean :D:D:D . but i do agree with what you say coz these days people do not have the cash to spend . :D:lol:

Archived