Help with mods???

MB3Matt

Trying to get the most out of my MB3 now that I've decided to keep it, I hear that mapping wont get me fudge all, so going for as many mods as i can to get a little something extra out of her.

I figured as me and my partner have set a limit of £30 for Xmas, she could get me some Denso Iridiums, but i need to know which ones are for a D15Z8 (an ebay link would be great) and then do i need to set them up, or are they needing the spark gap (dunno what its called) to be set?

ALso on the list is a full stainless system, CAI, inlet manifold and eventually a turbo.

Are there any other mods I can do to get a bit more out of it? Any suggestions welcome!

Cheers

My advice is to spend the money for the iridium plugs elsewhere. IMHO your car will work best with OEM spark plugs. There's a good explanation here: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/ngk-platinum-vs-ngk-iridium-worth-4037-2.html#post281903

I don't know for how much power are you aiming but the best way to find out is drive a D16Y2 engined MB1 and see if it suits you. If it feels slow then go straight away for the turbo or change the engine. (Your stock manifold can easily be modified to be used as a turbo manifold). If it's not that bad you can start modding your engine in NA state.

It goes like this: Aftermarket 4-2-1 / 4-1 manifold -> shorter transmission (a hybrid one is the best way to go for a lot of fun) -> 50mm or larger catback ->  mini me (expensive thing to do).

A better intake will help of course but I would leave this for later when the engine really needs it. As we know the airbox and resoantor are able to feed the B18C4 engine !

Intake manifold is not that bad either. There is a point to change it if you have done the mini me. Then the setup will benefit from a D16Z6 / moded D16A9 / aftermarket intake manifold.

Mini me means adding real vtec to your engine.Which means putting a vtec head or just changing the camshaft and rocker arm assembly (from D16Y8/D16Z6/D15B JDM).

With our Vtec-e camshaft it's difficult to make power. Even D16A6 non-vtec camshaft is better than ours.

Plan A:

D16Z6/D15B JDM head

Adjustable cam gear

D16Z6/D15B JDM Distributor with cables

Headgasket

Intake manifold gasket

New coolant, oil and spark plugs

chipped OBD1 ECU, P28/P30

Plan B:

D16Y8/D16Z6 camshaft and camgear 

Adjustable cam gear

chipped OBD1 ECU, P28/P30

Plan A is better but more expensive.

+2 on the plugs- use the correct oem NGK plugs. Honda recommend the irridiums for longer life, but only worth it if you can find them cheap. They will not be giving any power increase over standard. Don't know how long the Denso last but should be about 10 years going by the cost!

As Emil says best way to a bit more power is either a good panel filter (minimal difference) or integra setup (smoother airflow). Don't put bits of heatsoak prone sh!tty metal tube in there or massive filters there is only so much the TB can cope with. Then lose the catifold for a normal 4-2-1 then get a good custom system built with a sport cat in it. The gearbox is the thing that will make the most difference- if you don't do many motorway miles the best UK source would probably be from an MA8.

A really good service including the gear oil may do more than a lot of modding will of course.

• Like 1