When to replace distributor cap and rotor?

Dexter

Yes it is the same, mine was rusted and rounded off, was a b****r to get out luckily the new one came with new bolts.

I thought so. Just hadn't checked the EK. Seems someone's had a go at it then and ducked it up!! good job I have a spare!!

• 4 weeks later...

I change the dizzy cap when i change the spark plugs every year. Cheap enough I use a blue print one £9 part or a £195 dizzy when it goes for not changing the cap. And never use iridium spark plugs Hondas hate them and all high rev cars do. there crap I had two snap on me lucky they didn't damage my pistons. I used the standard ngk with no problems.

Where abouts can you get the cap for £9?  Will be checking mine this weekend!

• 2 weeks later...

Done this a few weeks ago but the rotor screw was completely stuck! There was absolutely no removing it, tried wd40, different screwdrivers, philips driver bit with a powerdrill but all i got was a stripped screw. Was careful not to completely destroy it, though. Any tips on how to get it out? A quick google recommends breaking the rotor with a flathead screwdriver to create some working space, then using a dremel to make a flat cut into the screw and using a flathead screwdriver to finally get it out. What do you think?

I got mine out with a stubby screw driver and an adjustable spanner!

You might have to go with the dremel if you've knackered the head!

Tried that also, but in vain :sad:. There's still some head left so can try to screw it out if somebody knows some special moves. The problem is applying enough force because the screw is in such a difficult spot.

You can rotate the screw to the top though mate by cranking the engine round.

True but then i can't get to the screw, there's a plastic shield of somesorts in the way. The only opening to actually see the screw is towards the windshield.

True but then i can't get to the screw, there's a plastic shield of somesorts in the way. The only opening to actually see the screw is towards the windshield.

Yep that's the only access to it I'm afraid unless you want to change the dust cover too!