My MB6 - bought a deck!

marv

Definitely looks a lot worse on no.4. like you say and looks good on the exhaust side, hopefully you'll know more when you get the inlet off. It does look like the heads got to come off again though what ever. I guess you'll know for sure then if it's rings, I do hope not but wouldn't the signs have been there before?

I would have thought so! It never smoked as bad as it does now.

I thought it was pressure tested before it came off??

Which should rule out rings. Peculiar though why there's nothing showing visibly with the exhaust mani off though.

I think there are 4 piston rings per piston so it would be unlikely (so im told) to get no compression. The compression test i did showed them all to be very similar, 4 and 3 were slightly higher but they had oil in the bores so its like a wet test. Also took ages for the petrol to drain down when i tested them when the head was off.

Isn't the petrol not supposed to drain down at all?? I'm not sure though.

Yes but slowly, so i was told. It was taking that long that id finished doing what i was doing and went back inside lol

have you trird a wet compression test?

You have oil rings aswell as compression rings , a leak down test can point you in the right direction.

If you look right up in to the bore are the valves oily?

have you trird a wet compression test?

You have oil rings aswell as compression rings , a leak down test can point you in the right direction.

If you look right up in to the bore are the valves oily?

No I didn't,should I? I struggled to see with the light on my phone, will take a closer look tomorrow or get the camera on with the flash and take a pic to try see better. The compression was about 170-80psi across all four.

I removed the inlet manifold tonight, doesn't seem to have revealed anything tho. Pics of the ports...

D06BC451-C5D1-41C8-895C-BBB54F854E2A_zps

55D6F459-976B-4820-9309-9EE3B460B591_zps

D6035EE9-30A5-4905-9730-FBAFDEDDAE3D_zps

5A9B81C7-A852-47F7-8DE2-C55D1DEA6964_zps

Anymore suggestions? Only thing I can think of is takin head off and doing the whole process again. I really need to pin point the problem so I'm not throwing money away :(

Wish I could help mate. But I'm at a little bit of a loss.

Silly question, you sure the head gasket went in right?

So I'm i lol

I put it on the same way as the old one came off, with the up mark up lol really bugging me like! Really want to keep the car, like the colour,practicality and performance.