Designing a MFD System

Whilst sitting in our Foxhound I was messing with this touch screen we have which displays, map/GPS/sensor outputs/damage report and  I've started to love it, we can switch from maps to sensor display and view everything we need which I find amazing. Its also pretty close to the R34 (GTR) MFD system they had. As you can see when I have down time theres not alot to do apart from play football, shoot targets, w*nk or sleep so I tend to plan and mess with electrical bits and bobs..

My idea is to run splitter's from the sensors (if they are electrical and not analogue like some older Honda's are, if they're analogue its more work with getting all the sensors plummed in and wired up) to a small micro controller to send the signals via Bluetooth to a mobile application. I'd like to cut out the CD DIN and replace it all with my sensor getter/sender unit and a 7inch Android tablet (cheap Chinese sh*te that I got free at some seminar which you can get on ebay for about £20-30)

I'll be tapping into an ignition source so that the device is started (along with the tablet) on key on which will stop them from draining the battery. The bits I've already planned out are:

MicroController (either an Arduino or something along these lines)

- Bluetooth Shield 

RCA to Speaker adapter
AUX to RCA cable
90 degree AUX cable for the tablet

2x 12v sockets

2x USB cable plugs

1x Arduino/MicroControl power cable (Arduino is USB or >|5V)

1x 90 Degree power cable for touch pad

1x cheap a*s Chinese touchpad, Already have - Running Android 4.1.2

I already have an Arduino that's sitting doing random little processing jobs for a simple boiler automation project I did (set between 0 - 5 and it will turn the dial using a servo and a SMS module that allows us to text it on the way home so its on by the time we're there)

which I might just pull apart if I don't manage to find a leonardo or uno for less than £45

I've already started to build the application which will be replacing a few different things like the launcher so that its the only app to start and all other applications are launched via that. This will give me the ability to make everything easy to use and run with minimal effort and time for my eyes to be away from the road. ;)

Hope you like my idea. Although It'll be a while before I can actually build FA I'll be working on code and uploading to Drive.

I also have another idea for a small gear indicator design using a similar microprocessor design but i'm not 100% how much input my small Arduino MEGA can take aswell as all the sensor inputs.. But that's another day...

Sounds pretty epic dude! I take it the tablet will deal with your audio then if you're using the CD DIN space for the gadgetry?

Just program KITT's voice into the voice control and you're away! :lol:

Joking aside it does look pretty complex but cool! 8-)

From what he said to me he wants to chop and fibreglass the dash basically moving most objects downward to give enough space for the 7inch tab and behind the tablet he'll mount all the bits needed to send the signals.

KITT would be cool but this tablet is bad enough as is without anymore crap

20131228_150245_zpsvcib9iw8.jpg

Excuse the state of the console at the time that was taken, just using it for reference!

Can sack off/relocate the 12v socket and ashtray then move everything down to make the DIN slot bigger, could even relocate the two switches at the top and sack off the clock?

20131228_150245_zpsvcib9iw8.jpg

Excuse the state of the console at the time that was taken, just using it for reference!

Can sack off/relocate the 12v socket and ashtray then move everything down to make the DIN slot bigger, could even relocate the two switches at the top and sack off the clock?

That looks viable, obviously the clock could be on the tablet and the other buttons could be where ever.. Who needs hazards anyway :P

That looks viable, obviously the clock could be on the tablet and the other buttons could be where ever.. Who needs hazards anyway :P

Or the heated rear window.....Honda's are never pushed! :lol:

You could up the hazards and the heated window switch next to the ac button when it's moved down

Yeah that doesn't sound a bad idea, probably just need to re-route the cables or extend them to reach and modify where the blanks are if the switches aren't the same size!

• Like 1

Or the heated rear window.....Honda's are never pushed! :lol:

Yeah that doesn't sound a bad idea, probably just need to re-route the cables or extend them to reach and modify where the blanks are if the switches aren't the same size!

I'm stealing your picture for his GoogleDrive ok? I'll upload it so he can take a look.

Moving the switches would be perfect, an almost OEM look may be possible if done neatly.. He has OCD so it should be :P

• Like 1

Screenshot_2014-02-25-16-01-12_zpsdzfomg

Screenshot_2014-02-25-16-01-21_zpsa9zb7l
Not much done, I have it pulling the system time and displaying on the right and able to play music from a folder ([sDCARD]/MFD/MUSIC/) as I'll be using this as the launcher home screen thing I'll not really need anything else from any other folders and keeping them in a unified root directory (folders in folders) stops any random files from being pulled in from other applications or folders. Like that annoying facebook "POP" noise the app installs!

PS: its actually 8PM here  WACK11111

oh and the second image is when "VITALS!" is pressed, i'll keep Pressure etc listed in here like the original MFD