my 1.5Lsi so far

D15

Cheers for the comments guys :) Top marks have to go to Blames though, I got the spoiler from him with the carbon lip already on which I think is a nice touch. Not quite as easy to install as he led me to believe though :P

But,,, it was worth the effort seeing the finished product on the car i bet! :o:o:D:D

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh absolutely! To be fair I think half the struggle was because I didn't have the holes pre-drilled, whereas he did due to having the standard VTi spoiler. Plus he screwed it down and used neopreme type material to pad it, whereas I stuck it down with Sikaflex which is a nightmare to get out of its tube with a caulking gun! But, its never coming off with that Sikaflex!

rear mounted turbo....show me at least 1 example of how this would actually work and i might not beleive your talking pure wee bum mate

nice car all the same, i liked the direction you were going till you started talking about rear mounted turbos

. by the time you got the air to the inlet you would have no boost pressure...its the reason behind why intercoolers dont run stupidly long pipework

http://www.yotatech.com/f88/thaught-i-w ... up-142428/

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2836527

http://www.ehow.com/way_5869354_diy-remote-turbo.html

you may now wee out your bumhole at your leisure ;)

rear mounted turbo....show me at least 1 example of how this would actually work and i might not beleive your talking pure wee bum mate

nice car all the same, i liked the direction you were going till you started talking about rear mounted turbos

. by the time you got the air to the inlet you would have no boost pressure...its the reason behind why intercoolers dont run stupidly long pipework

This is spinning me out too mate?? :?:?:?:?:?

lol. Got to say..... I have to agree mostly. I don't doubt that it is possible, but can't see it being much use!

Turbo lag is bad enough when you get a big turbo in the engine bay, but add 2 meters of tubing to mount it in the back of the car, I'm getting flashbacks to the original 911 turbo suicidal situation!

You'd loose so much of the air pressure in the lengthy pipes and the lag will be exaggerated ten fold!

Suppose if you are happy with that, then why not. But as there are front mounted turbo freely available, and no real issues with space, I wouldn't risk it!

Im going to be using 1.5'' piping from the turbo to inlet manifold to keep pipe volume as low as possible and therefore pressure up. This should equate to pretty much the same volume as a standard fmic with all its massive piping.

Exhaust tubing will be roughly 2'' to match the inlet of the turbo as well as to keep gas velocity high. Standard manifold will go eventually to get rid of the cat and increase velocity. And of course the exhaust will be heat wrapped.

Using this titchy piping should mean that I can fit both the exhaust and the charge piping in the standard exhaust tunnel :) but time will tell on that one.

And as far as front mount set ups being 'freely available,' have you ever added up the cost of all the parts involved?! manifold, downpipe, intercooler, fat piping for that too. Not to mention Im getting my turbo cheap from my mate, which helps, if I wanted a front mount turbo I would ideally want a T28, which is cash monies! And I have never understood why people feel comfortable having all the weight of a big manifold and turbo hanging off the header studs...I know it has been done a thousand times, but bad practice surely!

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers man.

Unfortunately the turbo plan has been pushed back at least a year :( I had it all sorted with the insurance company, then I noticed that they still had me listed as a salesman. So I dutifully informed them Im now a student again and they want an extra £320 a year(and £400 on top of that to add the turbo) :( FML!!! I am really starting to wonder why Im honest with insurance companies.

Anyway, should hopefully be picking up a D16Z6 head in the next two weeks to get a little extra power, which would be pretty tricky for the insurance company to pick up on, especially when I file off the 'P08' stamp on the front ;)

• 1 year later...

Right, so it has been quite a while since I last updated this, and I have done a fair few bits to the car. So here is a quick roundup of the progress and a few photos, with more to follow when my phone decides to stop messing me about!

Whiteline anti-roll bar with hardrace droplinks and bushes (beast of a thing)

RRS Fortuna bucket seats.

Momo wheel

Custom shift extender

Re-painted door cards with fiberglass speaker pods

D16Z6 cylinder head swap that has basically turned the engine into a JDM D15B without the Eco mode. Finely lapped in valves, skimmed 30 thou, disconnected aircon, orange samco hoses. P28 ECU with custom map and launch control done by Eurospec 2000.

IMAG0346.jpg

IMAG0347.jpg

IMAG0349.jpg

IMAG0324.jpg

IMAG0322.jpg

Still have a whole bunch more plans for her, just a case of what my insurance will allow!

Archived