Few issues with my mb6 :(

vti_786

Right guys, would like some help please:

Problem 1

i have this annoying problem when my car is just warming up, so as soon as it reaches half way on the temp dial, the car, well the best way to describe it is, its like i take my foot off the accelerator and then engage it again (hope im making sense). after a minute or so it gets perfectly fine.

i replaced the throttle position sensor, cleaned the throttle body, thinking it is something to do with the throttle, but its still the same.

Problem 2

When changing gears from 1st to 2nd i get a crunch most of the time and sometimes its really hard to change gears, a new clutch was fitted by honda about a year ago. i also get a little crunch going into 3rd.

I have replaced the gearbox oil still seems the same.

EDIT:

Problem 3

I also have a leak somewhere, i get water coming in from the a pilars near the sun visors, im pretty sure its coming in from the sunroof, but can't be sure, iv opened the sunroof and poured some water down near the drain pipes but that just came down as normal out near the front mudflaps, anyone had this issue?

Im new on here so go easy on me guys :|

Problem 1 has come up a few times and to common course seems to be the thermostat as silly as it seems .

Problem 2 as you have covered what i would have started with it only leaves the sincro between the gears are going its a commen problem on the b series boxs. its eather a rebuild or a second hand good box mate . Rich.

x2 exactly as Rich says mate. Does the engine reach normal operating temp (normal temp needle sits a fraction under half way on guage) after its on the move? If the temp gets to op temp but drops off again, its the thermostat for sure. Theres been a few on here with that prob (mine included!). Could also be the coolant, so might be worth checking its topped up in both the radiator and the expansion tank (when cold). ;)

thanks for the reply guys, but last week i did the thermostat and coolant flush (red), i had the problem as you described it, the temp would go down when wind was hitting the radiator, but that problem is fixed now.

the stuttering or hesitation still happens. im sure iv got all the air out of the cooling system, any more recommendations?

oh and when i cleaned the throttle, i also cleaned the iacv. i was thinking it could be the coolant sensor, i can get 1 for £10, but im on the dole :? and can't keep throwing parts at it :(

The other thing it could be (although I hope it's not!) is the idle control valve. These have been known to cause problems, and a new one from Honda I think is over the £200 mark! :o Not too sure what they would cost from a breakers, but would be no way of telling if the one from the breakers was actually working :roll:

Hopefully it wont be that, although the symptons do sound familiar. Adam, our resident honda mechanic and fellow Admin, will be able to give you more info on this I think. He's not been on tonight, but is on most nights so just keep checking the thread ;)

hmm, i didn't think it would be that as it happens only when semi cold, when it just gets to warming up then after a minute or so of driving its gets better. isn't the idle control valve for when its idling?

if it is that, do you think a non-oem part will be fine, as i really can't afford £200 on it, lol

oh and would like to say thanks for all the help guys

You're welcome mate! :D As far as I know the idle control valve is a Honda only part, although if I'm wrong somebody correct me please!! I think if the valves faulty,it would affect it regardless of engine temp? Other than that, I'm out of ideas lol Adams the best one for advice on other things that might be at fault mate ;)

i bud, im Adam!! Can you give me anymore info, im not sure exactly what you mean by taking your foot off the throttle?

Correct me if im wrong, are you saying that when you start the car, and allow it to warm up, the idle drops off when you stop? So, if say you were coming up to a red light, and you press the clutch as you stop, the idle drops down very low and then picks up again?

Or am I way off the mark? :?:lol:

If thats the case, then you need your base idle adjusted, this is only really a job for a Honda dealer, as a back street probably wont know the correct sequence of doing it. It will involve unpluging your IACV, setting the idle correctly, (once the timing is checked and set correctly also), then re-connecting the IACV and clearing the fault codes. Its not a mega technical job, it just needs to be done properly, or it will make it worse.

Give me some more info if you can mate!! ;)

hi adam, thanks for the reply.

you have understood me incorrectly, i don't know how to explain it, lol, i'l try anyway.

i start my car, say from cold.

the temp needle rises as should, and the car warms up as it should

but the problem occurs straight after the needle reaches the middle, i suspect the juddering happens at a certain temperature (it only last for about a minute, then its fine)

The juddering is like a big miss-fire.

so i drive normally, in what ever gear i am in, but for explanations sake, lets say im in 4th gear and doing 30mph, my foot is on the acceleration pedal but then it stops accelerating (acceleration pedal still pressed) then it accelerates again, does this for a minute or under, its like its loosing power then gets it back.

t's a bit wierd as it happens only at a certain temperature

hope iv explained it ok

Oh and i would like to avoid the dealers at all cost, i know they cost quite a bit, do you have an idea as to how much getting the base idle correct would cost?

when you say getting the base idle done, do you mean adjusting the idle on the throttle position sensor?

Archived