Misfire and not running on all cylinders. Help needed!

marv

Hi guys, was having a spirited drive in my mb6, and whilst overtaking it suddenly started to sound different an start missfiring. I pulled over and the idle is hunting,nearly cutting out and then rising to normal idle, it's not constantly doing this. When you rev it or drive away it sounds like it's not running on all cylinders. Anyone got any ideas or suggestions? Was running great all day prior to this.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Electrics? Dizzy cap, arm, leads, sparkplugs?

This or fuel injectors, to test for this, while the engine is at idle unplug one, listen to see if it makes any difference, revs should drop and then come back up as the other three compensate, if it sounds exactly the same then it's a duff injector!

Hopefully it will be electrical from Tom's list!

Done a wee bit fault finding on my lunch break. Believe that it's no2 spark plug that's the problem. Disconnected the leads whilst running a no2 made no difference, also sprayed water on the exhaust manifold and no2 was cooler. Will get some plugs after work and think il maybe order leads too. Where are folk getting their magnecore leads from? Sure I seen a link to a site with a good deal.

Cheers

I got mine from larkspeed. But they took ages (over a week) to turn up.

Larkspeed seem to be the cheapest but yes, they do take a while.

Krzys got his next day can't remember where from though.

Larkspeed seem to be the cheapest but yes, they do take a while.

Krzys got his next day can't remember where from though.

http://www.funkypower.co.uk/catalogue.php?make=HONDA&model=CIVIC&year=OTHER+CIVIC&level1=IGNITION&level2=IGNITION+LEADS&level3=&id_product=2388

Next day delivery!

Well maybe a change of plan.... My car had been burning a bit of oil and blowing blue smoke. Borrowed a compression tester from work. I got just over 150psi on no1,3,4 and 0psi on no2 :( I'm thinking it must mean piston ring has gone?? So need to work out costs. My work rebuild cylinder heads and blocks so that should keep some costs down, but I'd need to get headgasket,timing belt,rings and so on. Might be cheaper buying another M as iv noticed some vti decks on gumtree local to me. Tis a sad day :(

Plus side is that the suns out so il tax my bike and start using that and the missus will just have to use the fiesta beater.

Just spoke with a friend and he thinks iv maybe burnt a valve or valve guide. Sooo think I'm going to have to take the head off and get it stripped and rebuilt. Just need to price parts up. Do the b18s used head bolts or studs?

Cheers