Has anyone tried modifying stock air box (mb6) for more flow?

Guest rallyeluke

Guest rallyeluke

As above ^^^ has anyone modified there stock airbox on an MB6 for more air flow? 

When I owned my Accord Type R there was a mod to the airbox that was considered one of the most effective, it consisted of this 

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c203/sykesg/21102008841.jpg

I did it to my accord type R and the extra noise was incredible and there was real dyno proven gains aswell, as a rule of thumb with the Airbox mod and aftermarket exhaust system 20 bhp was readily achieveable and repeatedly proved on dyno runs. 

I have purchased another air box and K&N Panel filter off Ebay tonight so will try and get round to doing a write up on it and my own results. 

;) 

Not sure if anything similar has been done with an M but most tend to remove the resonator box and replace it with a feed instead.

Interested to see your results! 

just done a wee bit of airbox modding:

viewtopic.php?f=86&t=5193&p=82082#p82082

20110903_001b.jpg

20110903_002b.jpg

should help airflow a wee bit.

:)

Also, been thinking about doing this for a few days.... trimmed a bit more off the white tube from the bottom part of the air box, and removed the black one from the top... hoping to get a bit better airflow because of it :)

DSC_0013_zps83e0dde3.jpg

I've hacked away at mine... Think that @DAVEMB2 has done something similar?

I've no evidence for it making any more power, but you can hear it better, especially with a k&n ;)

As said before on b18s the teggy box is best for them so i doubt it would add much power as filters rarely do as for the h22 mabe it dose as ive not seen it done before on them

Guest rallyeluke

The intention is to hot knife the bottom of my air box off so it is wide open, I will run a feed up to the air box but it will not seal the air box, after extensive testing on the ATR forum they came to the conclusion that having a feed going into the box had a negative effect on power so you have the feed about a few inches away from the inlet point and let the natural flow of air feed the box, the issue with having a sealed feed into the box is you're increasing the overall length of the inlet tract and this creates a different set of problem all of its own. 

Guest rallyeluke

I don't like the way the ITR air box is located under the engine bay either, it doesn't look right in my opinion as it is too far over to the middle of the car from all the ones I have seen so far, is this because the inlet pipe is shorter with the ITR air box? 

The neck on the air filter itself is angled, Tom managed to turn his over so his ITR airbox points at the offside corner and uses the air feed hole in the corner.

• Like 1

Ideed the teggy box is the way to go n i defo see wat u mean about intake lengths affecting it so will be interesting if u plan works i picked up some flexi tube for mine so i can get the cold air to it as tom pointed out before heat exchange can cause power loss

Guest rallyeluke

Well I have removed a large part of the air box floor and fitted it back onto the car, have not reset ecu yet as my K&N panel filter is not here yet but first impressions are very promising, the noise is filthy as you would imagine and the engine appears to rev with more ease higher up the range.

I still need to pull the resonator box out of the bumper and run a feed of some description but I am happy so far and no doubt performance will improve with panel filter fitted and ecu reset 

Quick picture

10401965_10154251483520711_4522093820665