another odd starting problem

dr_broon

Every now and again after running the car, if I come back to it (eg after dropping the little one off at nursery) nothing happens when I turn the key....

...nothing at all....

lights on dash go out, but no sounds of anything trying to happen or clicks or anything.

ignition off, try again, and starts as normal (sometimes takes a few extra cranks though).

Anyone else have this or know what it could be?

My lsi eg used to do the same, but then I used to have to leave it for 10-15mins or so.  I mentioned it to a garage once, and the mechanic said that his mate's civic did the same and they didn't know what it was.

odd shrug.gif1

Guest jimbob738

Dodgy immobiliser?

you can easily remove the immobiliser unit try that.

or the fuel pump relay might be on its way out have you tried looking into that?

it is a help fook when these issues start cropping up do you have a spare key as it sound immobiliser related to me, are you running the standard ECU?

also could be you alternator giving up the ghost this happened on my mazda bongo and I took it to a bongo expert in stoke on trent he changed the alternator and it stopped doing it, different car I know but similar issues turn the key and all the dash was dead until the alternator built up enough feed/charge strange but true.

have you changed your battery recently and checked the terminals are connecting properly?

sorry to bombard you just thinking off top my head what it could be.

cheers Jim,

Don't think that it's the immobiliser - it's got a factory optional cat 1 alarm / immobiliser (rather than the ECU one) and that just stops the fuel pump afaik (it arms after a certain time from the fob being used to open the doors, so i start it often with the imobiliser active.... normally in petrol stations... when the engine dies after 5 seconds and it looks like I've stalled! :roll:).

Alternator is interesting though... I've actually got a spare because mine has been a bit noisy for years, just never got around to fitting it yet.  Sounds like I need to dig it out of the "parts to fit" box :D

oh, and I normally let the fuel pump "charge" (for want of a better word) before starting after turning the ignition on, and I'm sure that I can hear it as normal when the problem happens.

Guest jimbob738

Yeah, sounds like the alternator to me to be honest, I have just changed my brothers as his began to pack in and changed his battery to a BOSCH one to be safe cleaned all the terminals up and new grease could just be that try it and let us know, the alternators playing up do random stuff.

my brother had that factory optional alarm system, needless to say I removed it last year it was terrible that and when it goes wrong Honda don't want anything to do with it so I gutted the thing out the car its ran fine every day since, its a rover hang over the electrics in these cars.

good old Rhonda's

I have a similar problem, not as bad as nothing happening when turning the key, but as you've said Simon, it's warm, turn it off and run into shop or similar, come back out and it takes a couple of extra turns to start up.

No idea what it is and it's very intermittent so it doesn't really bother me tbh.

Oh and I think the better word is prime ;)

Wouldn't have thought the alternator would cause those symptoms unless it wasn't charging the battery at all but you say key out and back in and it works fine. Points to the starter in my opinion.

Only time I've had that was with a flat battery the other day, though it must have been really flat to get no machine gun style clicks of the starter at all.

In the past when I had a Toad CAT1 alarm, if I didn't disengage the immobiliser it would behave as you described, but that was supposed to be electronic and fuel cut-off.

• 3 months later...

little update on this - it did it a few times yesterday.  whenever it refused to turn over (or do anything apart from cut the power to the headunit), the green key light on the dash just flashed.  It was a more reluctant to do anything than normal though, and wierdly if I took the key out and turned it around it would work (but just taking the key out an re-inserting it made no difference).

Have tried spare key, and had the same problem... reciever for the transponder maybe?