Timing problems

Angeldesign

Hi guys, how are you doing?

I have an issue with my car: its a '97 MB3 with a full d16y8 swap and greddy turbo. I have it tuned (badly) with hondata s300v2 . I was learning and practicing with the ecu before going to a dyno/tune shop and I discovered that I can get the base timing I want.

Ive tried to set the base timing with the hondata feature, either 12 (supposed Y8 BTDC) or 16, but Im always far from it even rotating the distributor to both sides.

BTW, The cam belt is properly installed, there is no theeth off or such things.

I have the distributor rewired, but I dont remember if the guys who do the swap used the Y8 or the Z8 distributor. ¿Wich one should I been using? ¿are they compatibles?

Thanks in advance!!!

oh! this is my car:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.309988735795654.1073741830.306427939485067&type=3

D15Z8 / D16Y8 dizzy, it shouldn't matter which one you use. It is normal to not be able to reach 16 degrees BTDC. For your engine you need 12 degrees BTDC and you should be able to get them without a problem.

@noodels, I've read this in the manual but have you got an idea how exactly bridging the service plug helps or what it does ? My car was timed without bridging the plug and everything is fine.

Yeah, I dont need to get 16 BTDC, need to get 12 BTDC.

No need to bridge the service plug with the hondata "set timing" feature.

All the pulleys are from Y8 so thats not the problem.

Is not possible to have the dizzy 180º rotated without open, disassemble and modyfy internals to do that.

Someones says that they had to modify the distributor holes to rotate a bit more and reach 12 BTDC.