MG ZS 120 suspension once and for all

EmZvr

A friend of mine has Civic MB1. When he bought the car it already had rear arb. Apparently MB1s have oem rear arbs, which have the same droplinks and design like mg zs but the arb is smaller, looks like ~16mm. Front arb seems beefier, it's not 26mm but it's not 18mm either, something in between. The car had 195/65/15 tires  :wacko:

He didn't like the suspension. Following my advice he bought MG ZS 120 suspension (springs & shocks) and Bridgestone Adrenalin RE002 195/50/15 tires.

Now he's very happy with the handling. The car sits well, equally dropped on the front and rear. So like I suspected ZS 120 suspension is perfect for our M's.

I will have to drive his car soon and compare it to mine for a final conclusion.

P1170478_79_80_tonemapped_zps3aaab645.jp

Mb1 is single Camm isn't it.

So what we're saying Zs120 for social.

Zs180 for dohc.

More like ZS 120 is for all M's. And yes MB1 has sohc d16y2 engine.

ZS 120 has a dual cam 1.6 and 1.8 motors. I'm sure they weight more than Honda SOHC motors. Also according to the manual a 1.8 VTI has only 35kg more at the front comparing it to 1.6 ES. I can't find the info for MB1, but my point is B18 are not that heavy especially comparing them to the 2.5 v6 that ZS 180 has.

Hi. I was wondering if you've driven the car yet and how you found the handling experience compared to standard? cheers.

I hope to drive it Monday. I'm in my village for a couple of days. 

Wounder if they are eibach design also

also thought part numbers for zs120 same as all.<apart from mgzs180>

so conclusion  at 135+mph would i fit these ?

WACK11111

Well they should be. Rear suspension has the same part numbers for both shocks and springs. Front has different part numbers because of different engine weight for ZS 120 and 180.

We just need correct spring and shock ratio. On my car I can definitely say ZS120 is the correct one. I have zs180 shocks thought that's why I want to test drive the MB1 but I doubt they'll be difference.

135mph+  :shock:  I can't even get to that speed :(  :D

I hope to drive it Monday. I'm in my village for a couple of days. 

Well they should be. Rear suspension has the same part numbers for both shocks and springs. Front has different part numbers because of different engine weight for ZS 120 and 180.

We just need correct spring and shock ratio. On my car I can definitely say ZS120 is the correct one. I have zs180 shocks thought that's why I want to test drive the MB1 but I doubt they'll be difference.

135mph+  :shock:  I can't even get to that speed :(  :D

Most of us don't see 135mph either :lol:

Lucky if I get much more than 30-40mph! 

to my knowlegde, the mg zs 120 suspension is the same as the rover 45, its boggo standard suspension.

the 180 is lower and a lot firmer.

many 120's and 45's had the same arb's as the 180.

the rover k engine is c80kg and box is 35kg, the 180 engine is c135kg.

to my knowlegde, the mg zs 120 suspension is the same as the rover 45, its boggo standard suspension.

friday.gif1

I have seen this on the forum in some posts. That's why I started this thread. This statement (bolded one) is NOT true. 

ZS120 has lowered and stiffer suspension made by Eibach the same way as ZS180. It only has different front springs and shocks stiffness. 

It's a pitty my friend didn't take before pictures. But stock suspension is nothing like ZS120. It had a huge arch gap. Rear springs were so weak that with 4 people and LPG (which he has in the boot) the car would nearly scrape. Now with the same condition it moves one finger down. Here's a random pic of a stock MA suspension. You can clearly see that ZS120 is lower.

gallery_1239_10_67080_zpsb41e9e29.jpg

I'm speaking from experience here. ZS180 front springs are too stiff for MB1/2/3/4/ and MA8/9. 

So for those M's the proper suspension upgrade is ZS120 springs and shocks and ZS180 rear arb + MB6 front arb. Of course you can do like me - ZS180 complete suspension and ZS120 front springs. But this is stupid. It costs more money that way and shocks are always matched to springs so we better leave it that way. 

I had a chance (at last) to drive my friend's car (he drove mine). Quick comparison of our setups (differences are bolded):

MB1
24mm front arb (stock)
16mm rear arb (stock)
ZS120 front and rear shocks and springs
195/50/15 tires
LPG in the boot 

MB3
26mm front arb (MB6)
20mm rear arb (ZS180)
ZS120 front springs with ZS180 front shocks
ZS180 rear springs and shocks (SAME as ZS120)
195/50/15 tires

I must say comparing it to mine I don't like it that much. At 56mph with agressive left-right-left turning it has some woble. Mine's almost zero. Also steering feels more loose and not as direct as mine. But he hasn't changed his trail arm bushes and we have different arbs. I didn't expect it to be the same.

I have to say the more I drive other cars the more I love my suspension :D
  • Like 1