17 alloys what offset etc

GB.

I really like the look of 17s (not everyone does I know,but that's what makes the world go round) so what width and offset is optimum for correct hub alignment etc? I was think of 205/40 to keep the speedo correct(ish)

i had 17" on my mb3 they was 7x17 , they was ok running toyo's 205/45/17 but i think going 40 a bit low make sure you do not hit any pot holes . going 17x7 can tram a bit at times depends on how good your trye's are (i have gone back to 15" now trin2 mb3) 1"£££$££"!!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm currently having some issues with tyres/suspension setup in my mc2 too & would appreciate any advice.

I've got wolfrace hybrids fitted, which are 17x7 4-114 et42 with Toyo parada spec 2s 2054017. I'd read somewhere at the time of getting the wheels that aerodecks take 37 to 42 offset wheels but I'm finding conflicting info from all over - suggesting it should be more like 50/55 offset. They visibly sit more outboard than stock wheels, roughly 20mm at a glance. With full load (i.e. three passengers up back) there is occassional scrubbing from the rear & the steering is light and twitchy on rough ground, particularly when one wheel passes over a bump or road marking whilst cornering. Having read a few posts, this sounds a little typical of mb's, although I'm wondering whether the small offset is adversely affecting the steering. I've recently replaced a track rod end & wishbone which had some movement & my local garage can't find any movement in the front suspension. My main concern is that the offset of these wheels is too low? Otherwise might I have issues with suspension going soft (no visible bounce of difference between sides)?

Dave.

I'm currently having some issues with tyres/suspension setup in my mc2 too & would appreciate any advice.

I've got wolfrace hybrids fitted, which are 17x7 4-114 et42 with Toyo parada spec 2s 2054017. I'd read somewhere at the time of getting the wheels that aerodecks take 37 to 42 offset wheels but I'm finding conflicting info from all over - suggesting it should be more like 50/55 offset. They visibly sit more outboard than stock wheels, roughly 20mm at a glance. With full load (i.e. three passengers up back) there is occassional scrubbing from the rear & the steering is light and twitchy on rough ground, particularly when one wheel passes over a bump or road marking whilst cornering. Having read a few posts, this sounds a little typical of mb's, although I'm wondering whether the small offset is adversely affecting the steering. I've recently replaced a track rod end & wishbone which had some movement & my local garage can't find any movement in the front suspension. My main concern is that the offset of these wheels is too low? Otherwise might I have issues with suspension going soft (no visible bounce of difference between sides)?

Dave.

you kinda hijacked this thread but anyway. it may be that your not used to such low profile tyres and theres more feeling being transfered through the steering and your just feeling more of the road. and with the wider track due to the offset and the new tyres = more grip = more feeling. if that makes sense lol.

Heh, yeah, hijacked it slightly, sorry, although I would be interested to hear anyone else's experience with different offset wheels and if anyone can confirm what the offset should be for definite (heard different from different alloy fitters), so I guess that tallies with the orginal post! As far as my experience goes, e42's 2054017 just scrub on the rear & feel as described. I reckon I'll try some e45's or even 50's - any suggestions appreciated!

• 3 weeks later...

With my small engineering head on this is what I think, the most important thing is to get the theoretical line taken through the top and bottom pivot down to the road into the centre of the tyre, if that makes sense.So if the standard offset on a 195 tyre wheel combo is 42(that is the measurement taken from the centre of the wheel to the mounting face) and you were to change the wheel width to take a 205 tyre which is 10mm wider, surely you would want the offset the same increasing the same amount each side ie 5mm?

Or am I totally in the wrong postcode?

The standard offset on the mb6 alloys is et55. The offset of the speedline chronos is et50. You should not go any lower than et40 when using a 7" width alloy. If it were me and your car is as low as it is GB then I would get a set of wheels in 17 with an et no lower then 45. 17" alloys will change the handling dynamics of the car and increase tramlining but if its what floats yer then boat then cool. Stay as close as you can to either et55 or et50.

Thanks for that,I'm sure I read on here somewhere the et was 42 but if you say keep between 50-55 that's what I'll do.My ride height is fully adjustable separate from the preload so I can always raise it if need be.

100% sure on the offsets. I took my alloys off last week to clean them and they have et55 stamped on them. The speedline chronos I sold had et50 stamped on them so am sure of the offsets.

Archived