Temp gauge high / car not has warm as it should be

oldjon

Question

Had my Civic for almost two-weeks now, running well, starting well, no oil or coolant loss - But Temp gauge high / car not has warm as it should be, what do you thing guys - thermostat ?

1997 Civic 1.6 Auto

6 answers to this question

Yup, sounds like the probable culprit mate. Or it could be the coolant system is needing bled, might be the thermostat has been changed but system not bled properly. There's a how to for this in the "how to" section, as they can sometimes be a bugger to bleed. How far up is the temp going? Is it going high whilst driving or when stationary?

It went to max and stayed there while driving down to my sons yesterday - 30 miles away, I checked to see if the coolant was o.k when we arrived and I am just going to check it again now.

Coolant and oil levels fine I am glad to say, radiator looks newer than 1997 ! so maybe it's had a new one and not bled fully ?

Looks a bit bare infront of the rad, should it not have a grille ? the rad only covers half the space as well ?

• Like 1

Yeah, the blank bit is where the air con radiator sits on models that have air con mate. I gather yours doesn't? The normal rad only takes up half the space there, so that's normal.

If its went to the top of the scale on the gauge when driving, it could be the thermostat is stuck shut. Don't let the engine run for long with the temp like that mate, it'll damage it.  Best bet is just to replace the thermostat as they're cheap to buy, and then give the coolant system a good bleed. That should hopefully cure it.

If it doesn't it could mean the head gasket has failed, but concentrate on the cheap fixes first. If the power still feels ok, then doubtful it's the H/G anyways. ;-)