replacing ball joints - how to?

m0l0t0v

Question

Hey guys,

I need to definitely replace the lower ball joint on the drivers side as it's FUBAR. Also replacing passenger side cause why not. Now, on the Haynes manual it says to remove the lower control arm and to then take it to a honda garage to get them to replace the ball joint as you need special tools. I asked my local garage (not honda) to see if he could do it, he said he wouldn't. Asked if it had a clip and I have no idea. Said something about he's not happy about pressing it in. Said he'd take it out, but not in. Far as I'm aware, that's the easy bit...

Anyways, from what I remember is that the balljoint was actually on the hub and not on the control arm...

I know how to get access to it and have watched a couple of videos on replacing a ball joint but it does require an expensive tool. 

Any pointers?

2 answers to this question

On 10/10/2016 at 10:47 PM, m0l0t0v said:

Hey guys,

I need to definitely replace the lower ball joint on the drivers side as it's FUBAR. Also replacing passenger side cause why not. Now, on the Haynes manual it says to remove the lower control arm and to then take it to a honda garage to get them to replace the ball joint as you need special tools. I asked my local garage (not honda) to see if he could do it, he said he wouldn't. Asked if it had a clip and I have no idea. Said something about he's not happy about pressing it in. Said he'd take it out, but not in. Far as I'm aware, that's the easy bit...

Anyways, from what I remember is that the balljoint was actually on the hub and not on the control arm...

I know how to get access to it and have watched a couple of videos on replacing a ball joint but it does require an expensive tool. 

Any pointers?

Ball joint is definitely on the hub not the lower arm, its the same design as an EG or DC2 

DSC01892-vi.jpg

You can change them at home with a G-clamp but a press tool is better, some places like machine mart offer a rental service occasionally, Heres a quick guide I've used in the past :) Except used a long pry bar against the chassis and stepped on it

http://www.civicforums.com/forums/119-suspension/340010-ball-joint-diy-v-2-no-air-hammer-necessary.html

Edited by Finch
  • Like 1