Help with engine

digitalfaze

My mb6 started blowing blue smoke in vtec which i was told was pistonrings, the garages i called refuse to the car on to do the repair and recommended getting a new engine.

So i need an engine for my mb6 which currently has a teg dc2 bottom end. can i get advise on what i would need to do and buy to fit a teg engine in the car? (ecu?, gearbox?, clutch?)

Also any upgrades that should be done while im there, i want to replace the clutch but dont know if i need to buy a teg cluch or a mb6 clutch etc etc.

I just want to know what i need to buy so i can purchase any needed parts and give it all to a garage to fit at once, with no real problems.

Thanks in advance

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You will need £2000 plus just for the teg engine with low mileage , just rebuild the one you have loads easier than fitting a teg lump ans cheaper , you will need new pistons anyway so just get high comp stuff with a b16 or a b18 teg head and you will have the same as a teg engine anyway (almost). Then get a mapable ecu and get it mapped . job done . Rich.

I cant really have any downtime on my car as its my daily comuting car, i also have no idea who would take on the rebuild, i did get offered a teg engine for 600 fitted but was unsure as there was no ecu, box or inlet manifold.

how long will a car last with knackered piston rings

ok i understand now, When purchasing pistons what should i be looking for, i see funkypower do spoon pistons for b16 engine, would these fit to my teg bottom end (if i was to get b16 head).

will there be more advantages to getting a b16 head on the teg bottom end? faster??? :twisted:

it might not be your rings, get a compression test done, if its holding good compression it will just be your valve stem oil seal on the head, which can be done in a day....a long day lol

To be honest the garage never even said if they done a compression test on the car although all signs show piston rings,

I quite like the idea of buying a new head, pistons and ecu. But need some advise on the parts i need (im not very knowledgeable when it comes to cars)

If a b16 head makes it go faster im all for that, i will buy the spoon pistons and get a recommended mapable ecu

Cheers guys ur help is much appreciated

If you want pistons and rods , bearings and so on for a bottom end build you are best to get all the parts you need from the states they are loads cheaper and you can get all the parts in one go , you can fit a b16 head it would help with the single stage vtec like a teg but you will have wiring problems , but if you use a b18 head with a single stage manifold you will get the same effect , just get some nice cams and you b18 c4 head will almost be as good as a teg head anyway . Rich.

Cheers rich,

If i use my b18c head will i not have to get it honed and buy bigger pistons anyway? i take it not just as simple as buying pistons and rods, prob loads of other things i need to think about? i shall have a look to see if i can find a b18c head somewhere then think about the other parts i may need.

do you know a rough price i will be looking to pay for a garage to rebuild the bottom end? im hoping a budget of £1000 give or take a couple of hundred would cover getting it back to a1 condition engine wise?

you would have to remove the engine and strip it down , get the block check and measured you would have to go at least 0.5 over size on the pistons and have the block bored out by 0,5 mm as well . so they are a perfect match , the same with the crank you will have to have that check and measured just in case but they are usually ok , but if its not again mechine 0.25mm off min and get over size bearings to match ,

The key to a good build is get everything checked .

As for your £1000 budget , i think you will be hard pushed as the parts to build the bottom end with all the mechine work will be close to that ,if not over , i will need more like a £2000 budget .

Pistons are around £350

rods are around £250

bearings big end and mains £150

head set £220

cambelt £55

oil pump stage 1 £110

rebore £50

head skimmed £25

crank if it need mechining £30

Labour 20 hours at £60 an hour £1200

Rich.

Archived