Help with engine

digitalfaze

£60 p/h labour? Thats cheap mate, your worth more than that!! ;)

Why thank you , most garages are up to £75 an hour now for mechanical work , but bodyshops are still at £26.50 as insurance companys will just not pay . So i throught i has been fair at the £60 an hour . Rich.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are only £40 an hour up in scotland for labour, are these parts Honda parts? as mentioned before Spoon pistons only cost £180?

Anyway i have got in contact with a place that are going to quote me for the rebuild, Rich i beleive your price to be accurate and i know this is not a cheap option and it just comes down to wether or not i am willing enough to fork out more money on the engine than the car is worth.

B20 build?, i would do anything to lower the cost and get something even faster but i cant find any engines and have no knowledge about engine conversions so to buy an engine and not know if it will fit is just not an option.

Is it worth it for a 170bhp car?

It all depends on how good the car is to begin with. If body wise, mechanical wise (appart from engine obv!) chassis and interior wise it's good, then its worth it to spend the money getting the engine right. It also depends a lot on what you want from the car, and how much you like it. How long you thinking of keeping it? All these things factor into it mate. No point doing all the work, only to sell it 6 months down the line. Plus if its your daily driver, you need to consider how far you want to go with it before it becomes unpractical for daily commute.

One big plus side is, if you get the rebuild done, the engine will be like new again, but with more power than before! And the best thing is, noone expects the mb6 to be fast in the first place, so the look on folks faces as you pull away from them is priceless! Even though mines is standard, it still manages to embarass a few more expensive cars! If you can afford it, go for it mate! ;)

We are only £40 an hour up in scotland for labour, are these parts Honda parts? as mentioned before Spoon pistons only cost £180?

Anyway i have got in contact with a place that are going to quote me for the rebuild, Rich i beleive your price to be accurate and i know this is not a cheap option and it just comes down to wether or not i am willing enough to fork out more money on the engine than the car is worth.

B20 build?, i would do anything to lower the cost and get something even faster but i cant find any engines and have no knowledge about engine conversions so to buy an engine and not know if it will fit is just not an option.

Is it worth it for a 170bhp car?

they were not honda prices , you would be best with cp pistons and eagle rods . acl bearings , you are best to get them from the states ,

You could do a b20 , you would have a lot more torque , but they are weak blocks unless you add a crank brace or have them sleeved and that is mega money .

I have just done a b20 / b16 high comp n/a build , ill let you know what power it makes on the dyno when he has the money to get it done that is .

The lads says he is after 250 bhp im not sure im saying 220 bhp max . Rich.

What about fitting a prelude engine in? meaning if i bought a complete prelude, would this be a no go or can it be done relatively easy?

In power-wise i would be happy to have around 200bhp, but the sounds of a rebuild means my engine will last alot longer and i will know that nothing will go wrong with it (hopefully)

Has it been confirmed that the rings are knackered? Blue smoke could funnily mean alot of other things. Its best to have a look at getting a wet test done (cylinder leakage). (or did i miss the post that you already have?) ooer..

I dont think the garage done any tests i think they just confirmed what i said it might be and drained some oil out of it, i shall be getting it into a different garage and request a compression test.

A funny thing about the car is, i dont seem to be loosing any power, i took it round a back road after work tonight and it was just as quick as when i first got it, the blue smoke only seems to come out under hard acceleration in first and 2nd gear, when i was driving it hard tonight there was no blue smoke coming out the exhaust.

Think i will just wait too see wut the other garage say then decide then, i do hope it is something simple.

Archived