Parking brake malfunction

Metal_Jorre

Question

Hey guys, recently i've been having troubles with my parking brake.

So the parking brake wont hold even when its fully tightened. At first i thought i just had to readjust the 2 cables, but the problem returned after a few days, did this a few times, but it just wont hold.

I then replaced the handbrake cables as i thought these might be worn or something, nothing...

I've checked the rear brake pads and they're fine so now im oblivious to what the problem could be...

Also something to note, when i changed the cables, i readjusted them as well, after pumping the brake pedal about 20 times while the contact was on (i read somewhere this was necessary to do...) and the parking brake itself is hard as **** to pull (i can pull it up about 3-4 clicks) but still the parking brake does not hold my car on whatever sort of incline. Even when the parking brake is engaged and on a flat surface, there's no trouble pushing it forward or backward...

Any help on what more i could check or do or what the problem is would be very appreciated!!

• Like 1

3 answers to this question

Sounds as though there is a problem at the rear calipers (if fitted) themselves mate. When adjusting the handbrake, you need to slacken the cables off completely, then (without the engine running and the handbrake off) pump the brakes pedal like you did before. After around 10 pumps, adjust the handbrake cables (still with the handbrake off). Adjust a bit at a time until you get the wheels locking on around 4 to 5 clicks.

It's easier to do with the rear on axle stands so you can make sure the handbrake is even on both sides.

On 10/16/2018 at 7:40 PM, Dave said:

Sounds as though there is a problem at the rear calipers (if fitted) themselves mate. When adjusting the handbrake, you need to slacken the cables off completely, then (without the engine running and the handbrake off) pump the brakes pedal like you did before. After around 10 pumps, adjust the handbrake cables (still with the handbrake off). Adjust a bit at a time until you get the wheels locking on around 4 to 5 clicks.

It's easier to do with the rear on axle stands so you can make sure the handbrake is even on both sides.

Oh, that sucks... if it would be the calipers... I'll try and adjust them again using the method u said and i'll see what happens... I hope its gonna be okay... If it would be the calipers, would you have any idea what exactly it would be?