Gearboxes - The options

tontvti

Tontvti, the S9B gearbox in the MB6 hits redline in 5th at 154mph.

hahaha i never knew that, only had it to 137 mph and i crapped it and slowed down, still a long way to go too but always wondered what the top speed of these bad boys were :lol:

The redline of the top gear is not the top speed of the car, just the highest speed the gears will allow. A standard MB6 will never top 140mph.

The Mclaren F1's top speed was originally 230 ish mph, but that was limited by the rev limiter kicking in at 7500rpm at that speed in 6th gear. When they removed the limiter it did over 240mph because it had the power available to do so.

In our cars it's more the opposite in that the top gear is beyond what the car can do anyway. If you need any proof that 2nd is waaay to long, my friends Audi S5 is geared to hit redline in 2nd just beyond 60 (as opposed to 69mph in a M). That's with 350hp on tap...

The jump from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd (and even really 3rd to 4th) is too great. An Integra box (S80) or EK9 box is perfect to improve our cars acceleration and the slight reduction in top gear from 154 to 149 is not too bad as to increase cruising rpm's too much.

A "perfect" box in my opinion would be an Integra 98 spec box with standard 1-4 ratios: 3.23, 2.105, 1.46, 1.034 then an LS 5th 0.74 and finally an upgraded FD of 4.929. This would give decent acceleration throughout the range and the extended 5th would bring improved motorway mpg without being too harsh a jump from 4th.

This box would provide an increase in actual torque at the wheels on the order of: 1st gear +17%, 2nd gear +27%, 3rd gear +23%, 4th gear +10%. In my opinion this would drastically improve the real world driveability of the car. Having almost 30% more power on tap when going for an overtake at lower than motorway speeds is obviously a big improvement!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The y21sri.hydo box with 4.4 final drive thinks it 200 rpm diffrence@8000

5mph less @top end ie. 144mph@8000=146 @redline&151mph @rev-limiter..

bearing in mind 8400 rev lmt.

will it work out ok!!!!same splines ect...!!!!????

TO REPLACE S9B GBOX/MC2..more affordable for me £???-))

any one got info of there experence thanks..with y21 in mc2 :?:

mc2 = 50kgs heavy than mb6!!!

;)

The y21sri.hydo box with 4.4 final drive thinks it 200 rpm diffrence@8000

5mph less @top end ie. 144mph@8000=146 @redline&151mph @rev-limiter..

bearing in mind 8400 rev lmt.

will it work out ok!!!!same splines ect...!!!!????

TO REPLACE S9B GBOX/MC2..more affordable for me £???-))

any one got info of there experence thanks..with y21 in mc2 :?:

mc2 = 50kgs heavy than mb6!!!

;)

i have just fitted a S80 box with 4th and 5th gears from a Y21. still waiting to attack top speed, but its 1 hell of a difference from standard.

take it synchros the same as :!:

sounds goooood mate eager to your response 8-)

on that test day!!

Archived