Hesitation when cold

IceMan

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Usually if car is left for a day then from cold it hesitates sporadically. Come off then on throttle but makes no difference, hesitation duration about 1-3 seconds on and off until up to temp. Never happened once warmed up and pulls like a train still when warmed.

Getting bad to worse.

MODs K&N panel filter , 4-1 ss system - both mods fitted for 3 years so unlikely to be related.

Any ideas? Thanks :D

how is your filter is it clean

Seriouly I get about 100 miles to 30 squid. Im jealous!

Anyway. I didnt think lambda was used when cold. Thaught ecu would run default values until warm.

So would lambda affect cold running?

trust me ...unplug the lambda sensor and take the car for a run...report back to thread after run

ps ignore orange light on dash during test, will go out after plugging lambda back in

and on the subject of lambdas either working or not

not true, we m owners run 4 wire heated lambda sensors, sometines the heater side of them fails causing the lambda to think the car is up to temp/not up to temp, keeping car running on basic ecu parameters depending on which way the sensor has failed (basically can have the car running in closed loop lambda one minute then swapping back over to open loop the next, one way will richen the fuel mixture causing poor fuel econemy and black smoke from the exhaust, the other way will lean the air fuel ratio off to much ,sometimes causing a full blown missfire(lean miss) or a small hessitation,usually under light throttle applications )

sorry for the story lolz

Ill 2nd that , my brother has had a misfire on part throttle for months and we had but on , plugs ,leads , cap , arm , coil , the stuff you would think , there was no engine light on . I put a lamba sensor in yesterday and guess what it sorted it ,it is now like brand new , so for whatever reason it did not work good enough for the car to run right but not bad enough to but the light on a give me a code so i could sort the problem .

Rich.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
and on the subject of lambdas either working or not

not true, we m owners run 4 wire heated lambda sensors, sometines the heater side of them fails causing the lambda to think the car is up to temp/not up to temp, keeping car running on basic ecu parameters depending on which way the sensor has failed (basically can have the car running in closed loop lambda one minute then swapping back over to open loop the next, one way will richen the fuel mixture causing poor fuel econemy and black smoke from the exhaust, the other way will lean the air fuel ratio off to much ,sometimes causing a full blown missfire(lean miss) or a small hessitation,usually under light throttle applications )

This is interesting for me.. My car seems to be on choke for a very long time when cold. Could the lambda have something to do with this? Even when the temp guage has started to climb, it still ticks over well above 1k rpm until almost at running temp. Is this normal?

Also today I gave the car a bit of a bootful, was at about 6.5 - 7k rpm and the car had the biggest flat spot/held back for a second or two, then bang straight back onto full power. It's never done this before, could this be the lambda too?

Thanks guys 1"£££$££"!

Archived