useful info on DIY cambelt change

acivic

I found this on net about honda cambelt change & it seems pretty comprehensive (please delete if it breaks any forum rules-as its a link to another forum) credit goes to a guy going by the username 'Cleft Asunder'

http://www.civicforums.com/forums/230-e ... -00-a.html

btw Ive read somewhere to use sealant in addition to the gasket on the waterpump, are you supposed to use liquid gasket/sealant in addition to the waterpump seal?

• 11 months later...
  • 10 months later...

remember on the B-series engine you have to turn back three teeth once timed to take slack out. I have seen alot of people who dont do this and the T-belt is very slack at the top in between the cam gears.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I used some high-temp silicon sealant as well as the water pump rubber seal for good measure; don't want to have to do that job again.

For timing I just put whiteout on the pulleys and old belt, then take off the old belt and transfer the marks to the new belt. Seems a much easier way of doing it and no chance anything can be a tooth out so long as you count the teeth between marks carefully between old and new belt in addition to laying them on top of each other.

• Dave unpinned this topic