temp needle

belfastlad123

my temperature hand has been going up to about 3/4 near the red and going down again its not staying up .not once has it done this from i bought the car

i thought it was because the good weather but im just in there now and its still doing it and its not warm now .plenty of water in the car does any of your cars go like this ??

what could be wrong any ideas dont want it blowing up lol

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi mate, could be a number of things so we'll probably need more info. It sounds like either an airlock in the coolant system, or thermostat. If its going right up the scale and the car is overheating, could be head gasket failure.

When warming up and car stationary, does it reach normal temp and hold steady, or is it acting like you state above?

When car is stationary and at normal temp, does it hold temp steady once on the move, or does temp drop right down low?

Check (carefully!) top and bottom radiator hoses once the car is at normal temp. They should both be warm/hot.

I'm thinking its probably the thermostat, as these are a common failure. If it is, very easy (and cheap) to fix ;)

if i leave the car to heat up then drive it it will stay warm temp dosent drop again .

it seems to be when imm taking it easy the needle goes way up but when i put the heaters on it goes right back down to normal temp . how can i test the thermostat is there anyway .ill get my mate to have a look at it in the morning when hes working at it

I'd be inclined to say it's stuck closed slightly mate, best bet to check if it's the stat is to take it out, bleed the system and see if the problem is reversed! Then it should run cold, and you know you just need a stat!

I'd go buy one to save the hastle though, only a tenner or so!

no mate, if the bottom is cold when the engine is at normal temp, the stat is stuck closed, and will cause overheating issues ;)

Put your fans on full heat and full fan while you driving it to help cool the water a bit!

Archived