'haunted alarm' problem

dr_broon

last 2 nights my alarm has gone off at 2am (much to the delight of everyone) and won't turn off with the fob. I had to disconnect battery to shut it up.

symtoms are:

-no indicators flashing like when alarm normally goes off,

-fob still operates central locking and disarms immobiliser and car will start (with alarm blaring)

-reconnecting the battery normally makes alarm go off, but doesn't now

-happens pretty much bang on 2am

other info:

-it's the original honda alarm, but a cat 1 version (understand this was an optional extra)

-I've recently had a repair on my head unit, and reconnected it at the weekend (pushed it into position to lock in it's cage on monday)

thoughts:

-since I removed the clock on my dash yonks ago, the only thing (afaik) is my radio... could this be trying to do something at 2 that interferes with things - unlikely I suppose

-I read somewhere on the web that there is a lithium battery in the siren on honda alarms, and when this goes wierd stuff happens... is this true? it also said that the battery can't be replaced and it's a new siren job. it might just be that things cool down enough around 2 am for this battery to struggle?

any help would be much appreciated... I've got it booked in at a local alarms installer, but not until monday, and he suspected that all they could do is disconnect the alarm.

cheers all.

cheers for the reply John, I forgot to add that into the first post... When it first went off I opened it with the fob and locked it with the key (and went back to bed) 5 mins later it went off again!!!

wtf!

knackered alarm mebz.

i had that bproblem

i found that it was the sencor on the bonnet, the wire had come off it and was dangling and makeing conntact with the body thus going to ground when the alarm was active and makn it go off

check them for good connectioon to the sencor

Merged the two topics as I was getting confused :D

cheers john - don't konw how the double post happened in the first place - must have a haunted phone as well... :lol:

well, it looks like the siren could well be on the fritz.. yesterday after work I tried my best to set the alarm off... the indicators flashed as if it was going off, but no noise. the alarm (minus the sound) would cancel by using the fob.

disconnected the battery before bed last night though coz I wanted to get some sleep :D

anyone know how much it'd cost for a new siren? saw £500 quoted on the web somewhere... seems crazy.

Adam - are you around? any ideas dude?

bit of an update - after speaking to my Honda dude he says it sounds like the circuit board for the alarm is on it's way (or gone)...

The CAT1 alarms were supplied by a company called Hamilton & Palmer, and a bit of googling around shows that it seems to be a fairly common problem (even more so on pre-facelift EP3s).

I emailed them the symptoms to get their opinion, but it sounds as though the fix is going to be a new board.

The snag is that the new boards look like they cost around £150 inc vat & delivery and new fob, and I know that I could get a pretty good aftermarket one for that.

So I've got a question - the immobiliser is on the ECU right? If I got an aftermarket one, would it operate the immobiliser okay? Wouldn't like to have to carry around two fobs :lol:

So I've spoken to Hamilton and Palmer (that well known 70s supergroup :lol: ) and the technician was really helpful and after being a bit baffled by the wierdness of the problem said that it sounded more like the siren than the main board, and got me to try a few things like interrogating the alarm to see what the last activations were caused by.

So I opened up the siren unit to see if I could just disconnect it, and saw that there was a patch of corrosion on the circuit board - tried cleaning it up a bit with some wd40, but one of the components was corroded and not attached.

Spoke to the guy again today, and a new siren is £60 plus Vat & delivery, but I also asked if the siren was coded to the alarm in some way, and it's not - soo a second hand one would do the job.

So if anyone's got a H&P CAT1 siren they don't need anymore that's in good nick .....

:D

Archived