wheels and improvements

james

dc2 wheels compaired to the speedline fans

what will the benefits be, ie handling, acceleration will there be any differance

dunno. i had stock wheels. now i have rota circuits that claim to be very lightweight. i didnt notice any difference apart from a bit more grip and a harsher ride due to the tires.

• 7 months later...

Hi!

I was just randomly browsing through the section and came across this topic...light wheels imho should be one of the first (if not the first upgrade).

I used to own an Abarth Grande Punto - stock tire/rim setup was around 24 kgs (which is a lot for 17s). I later decided to put lightweigts on and went with OZs Alleggeritas. This setup (I have to admit tho, I went from 215 to 205 tire) only weighted 14 kgs. And boy did I notice it.

Acceleration (not talking about starts from standstills but picking up speed), braking, steering and suspension - all changed more than I ever expected. Of course, 1kg less probably wont make a difference, but it does show if you go further down the scale...

Hi!

I was just randomly browsing through the section and came across this topic...light wheels imho should be one of the first (if not the first upgrade).

I used to own an Abarth Grande Punto - stock tire/rim setup was around 24 kgs (which is a lot for 17s). I later decided to put lightweigts on and went with OZs Alleggeritas. This setup (I have to admit tho, I went from 215 to 205 tire) only weighted 14 kgs. And boy did I notice it.

Acceleration (not talking about starts from standstills but picking up speed), braking, steering and suspension - all changed more than I ever expected. Of course, 1kg less probably wont make a difference, but it does show if you go further down the scale...

Would this not be down to the tyres?

i fitted DC2 wheels on my MC2 that were extremely light i hated it was too light for me felt almost skitish on the road but they did have naff tyres on, they can now be seen on my thread on my brothers VTI-s they aint made nothing faster or brake better or handle better but the new good quality tyres made a hell of a difference :D

i suppose its what you comparing it to stell wheels then yeah its gonna change but i think its down to the tyres you but, if you buy Accelera R's then expect no grip if you buy toyos then you get a good grip just like all these things trial and error.

Tires might also contribute if they are lighter (or heavier), of course. But Im not sure we are speaking the same language here :)

Namely, there are two things every performance lover must watch here:

Unsprung mass:

As the word says - its all the mass that isn't sprung: wheels, tires, disks, hubs. This mass effects on the suspension:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsprung_mass

Rotational mass:

Basically, everything that spins on a car: flywheels, pulleys, tires/wheels/disks. When you accelerate, all the spinning parts must move from stationary to rotational. And that consumes energy. Distribution of the mass on these parts is also crucial. For example - a big wheel with majority of the mass near the center will spin more easily than a smaller wheel with majority of the mass on the outer edge. Hope this makes sense :)

More on this here:

http://www.ux1.eiu.edu/~cfadd/1150/09Rot/RotDyn.html

Hope what I wrote makes sense - english isnt my first - be gentle with me :)

Archived