torque mount gone

james

cheers for the link noodels, ialso need to get the torque mount sorted.

has anyone got these fitted? do they make much difference?

I've just done the side mounts with the Energy suspension bushes, to me the car doesn't feel any different at idle/low speed, but you do notice more vibration/harshness on a more spirited drive. I have to do the rear mount this weekend so I can let you know about the total package then.

yea that will be good to hear feedback,

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay,

Brief report on the job, and maybe someone can offer some advice as well :?

The side torque mounts were a pretty straight forward job with a bit of time and a jack. Driving the car feels no different to me at low speed/idle as there is enough compliance in the mount & insert not to transmit lots of vibration through the chassis. Higher speed/quick shifting there is a small thud from the engine as it can't move as far as it used to when you lift the clutch. Was worth doing as the original side mounts were shot, that said I replaced both mounts and used gearbox mount on both sides as an "upgrade", just needed a 10mm spacer to make it fit the passenger side properly.

Rear torque mount - After looking through the Civic tech manual, an old Haynes manual and a few different websites I couldn't find a decent "how to" for the MC/MB Civic. I didn't manage to get the mount off the subframe, and tbh I can't see a way of doing it. I did get to check the mount properly and mine was in excellent condition so after 3 hours and a lot of swearing I put everything back together. If anybody wants to complete a guide it would be good, Here is as far as I got, sorry I gave up on the pictures after a while, I was so intent on getting it done I forgot -

B__4700%252520%2525281%252529.jpg

Trying to remove/access part #3 in the diagram.

Starting from the top of the car, remove the intake pipe to get better access

2011-08-20%25252015.32.32.jpg

Locate the heater control valve and undo the bracket supporting it from the bulkhead (10mm nut). This will give you better access to the torque mount.

2011-08-20%25252015.32.46.jpg

With a long extension, knuckle joint and ratchet, undo the 14mm bolt now exposed in the torque mount

2011-08-20%25252015.41.34.jpg

Second bolt in the torque mount is blocked by the heater matrix pipes coming through the bulkhead from above, but it is accessible from below :D (sorry no picture). Jack up the car and support with axle stands (safety first) to access the 14mm bolt with a spanner.

Third and final is blocked by the "T" brace that connects the torque mount to the gearbox/engine. From underneath, undo the 2x 19mm bolts (#23 on diagram) through the brace to the gearbox. Next release the 17mm bolt through the torque mount (I did this from below with a swan neck spanner). Brace is nearly off!!

From above, locate the last 17mm bolt (right next to the starter motor or #15 on the diagram) and remove. Ratchet with a medium extension worked best for me. The brace is now loose and can be moved about 1.5"-2" up/down & back to front but not enough to get it clear of the torque mount (or I couldn't anyway). The final bolt looks like you could access it from above with a long extension now the "T" brace is free but I didn't have a socket/extension that could get into the space. If someone has a way to get this out then please step forward ;)

Now I have worked out what and where everything is it is only a 30minute job to get back to this point.

Epic fail :x

:evil: well you got further than me just looked at from 20 difrent angles and has been in the boot for 10 months :lol: a ramp ad rubber arms perhaps :? good attempt mate ;)

plz help us peeps :oops:

think i will go to HOLDENS for a wee chat soon :idea:

Yeah, I have the good old Haynes manual, pretty useless in the torque mount section. The pictures they show are with the engine removed and it only tells you how to check them!

I've seen that video before too, not sure why he talks about he charcoal canister being in the way, it isn't on the MC/MB but then again he is working on a EK(?) For me it was the heater control valve and matrix pipes.

What I haven't tried is taking off the other 2 torque mounts (as per the ozhonda forum) to try and rock the engine a little more, but it could be worth a try. Need to find my engine support first before I try it though. Buddy in work has done this job on his EG but he had the engine out, he couldn't do it with the engine in either!

Any news noodles?

didnt go today will go tomorrow as going that way.just hope they give me some info!!fingers crossed will ask the right guy.will have to luer him out of workshop ha ha!!they dont like public in there as a rule.

edit didnt go maybe wednesday :roll:

edit... :(

dentist today mmm, had tooth pulled drool.gif1:|

• 2 weeks later...

Archived