Silicone, cost, and another mad idea! - RESULTS IN

johngreen537

I used 6 Meters mate, but I wasn't careful!

Now that I know it's worth doing, I've got the feelers out for some bulkier buys!

£16 to do that tube is still a bit on the expensive side really, ideally I'd like to get it down to £5 for 3meters ish.

I'll let you know, otherwise,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290564402328? ... 1439.l2649

Is the guys I bought it off, and bloooooody fast delivery!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good results, going by your previous results and averages I'm thinking you could see a drop of as much as 6 degrees in a jam situation, which is incredible just from the intake tube, be very interesting how much difference the airbox makes 8-):ugeek:

Blue Jonny.. Thinking of changing the colour scheme in thte engine bay :)

As it's only really a test, I just took what he had in stock!

Anyways... Results are in!

Wasn't really expecting much, as I've only wrapped a 9inch bit of tube, can't really expect a brilliant result from that.

In the original post, 23 degrees was the benchmark, so while in traffic or less than 40mph, it would get up to around the 30 mark, but 26 / 27 was normal.

Ambient temps this morning were 15 degrees, and intake was registering 18 at start up (this is normal / the same)

Getting moving, on my 25 mile drive to work, on a busy A road, 90% of it sitting 30-40mph, with 3 dual carraigeway sections for a good blast!

30-40mph normal driving, Intake was 23 degrees SOLID! Didn't move!

40-60mph dropped (quicker than usual) to 21 degrees!

back in traffic, rose to 23...

Blast down the dual carraigeways at erm.. 70+ shall we say, dropped to 20-21 degrees, must have been 20.9 ish as is flickered 20 then 21 then 20 etc.

So in short, it worked. dropped my average intake air temps by 2 maybe 3 degrees!

That doesn't sound much does it! Put differently, thats 9-12% colder!

As it's only the intake tube thats been done, I'm excited! The main source of heat for my air in the EP3 is the airbox.

It mounts on top of the gearbox, so it is in constant contact with hot metal!

Gonna order another few roll's of the stuff, just to wrap my standard box! This may see another BIG drop!

RESULT!

1"£££$££"!!

couple of degrees is good enough for me 8-)

did you say you were thinking about doing your hoses to keep the heat in?

think that my airbox is a prime candiate too... (pretty much everything else on the air intake is refelctive now)

I'd be tempted to do it over the top of the reflective stuff mate ;)

Would keep it on nice, and make it look a little better... Especially when the silver starts to wear a bit :D

Did you seee the ally guards Prezes made for his intake box? I'm thinking wrapping that in a sheet of silicone (seen some baking tray protectors on ebay :D ) would make it his own lttle air feed fridge :D

Good results, going by your previous results and averages I'm thinking you could see a drop of as much as 6 degrees in a jam situation, which is incredible just from the intake tube, be very interesting how much difference the airbox makes 8-):ugeek:

I'll find out soon mate :D 20 more meters of the black on order :D

Datalogging at the ready :D

I'd be tempted to do it over the top of the reflective stuff mate ;)

Would keep it on nice, and make it look a little better... Especially when the silver starts to wear a bit :D

Did you seee the ally guards Prezes made for his intake box? I'm thinking wrapping that in a sheet of silicone (seen some baking tray protectors on ebay :D ) would make it his own lttle air feed fridge :D

the shiny's for stopping the bits absorbing the radiant heat and works a treat (cool to the touch).

i'd scavenged some aluminium heat shield from an audis engine bay that was keeping the aibox cool, but now I've removed the snorkle from the intake there's nothing to hold it in place :lol:

I am having a heat headache right now myself going round and round in my head as to what motivated me to buy one of the induction kits on ebay a while ago instead of using the oem pipes which Honda clearly spend a lot of time and money in developing, i know they have to strike a balance between fuel economy and emissions exct, exct, but i bet keeping cool was up on the list and i since got rid of all the oem stuff i am scrating around trying to find a better method of air delivery coz what i have is pants and pretty sure on dyno it would show up that the BHP is minus not plus moral is DONT BELIEVE THE HYPE in the words of Public Enemy!

Johngreen i like your threads they always have a stroke of the mad doctor about them with all these experiments keep em up they make an interesting browse.

Archived