wiper speeds

dr_broon

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

some googling shows that some 98 accords have this feature. anyone know if the contol unit would need to be changed (if that's possible).

also, is it controlled by a switch on the stalk or is it a seperate switch / dial?

id love this aswell simon

i hate the way there are set up....... on or too fast

id think it would be some work to get it and fit it, maby a controllable resistor switch would be an idea

some googling shows that some 98 accords have this feature. anyone know if the contol unit would need to be changed (if that's possible).

also, is it controlled by a switch on the stalk or is it a seperate switch / dial?

ka-bump!

No, definitely not quite that simple. You can't control a motor speed reliably by resistance alone. The resistive circuit would have to dissipate a massive amount of power/heat at the very least to work by that method (the heater motor uses this method, but has the benefit of a massive airflow past the resistors to get rid of all the wasted power), also as this setup reduces the voltage supplied to the motor overall, it's very easy to not supply enough voltage to get the motor moving at all.

You could very well use a Pulse Wave Modulation controller circuit. With that sort of setup, it would be quite possible to completely bypass the stock wiper motor controller & replace it with a variable speed controller - you could use the original switch in the indicator levers to turn it on & off & place speed switch somewhere in the dash. If you fancy brushing up your soldering skills with a little electronics project, let me know & I'll figure out a suitable circuit. I've just built a PWM for my nitrous solenoids; that cost around £25 for all the bits.

cheers for the reply Dave - good info

1"£££$££"!!

I'm hoping to find that something like the accord mentioned has a unit that will connect straight up in place of the civic one, with the inclusion of however it's controlled (stalk or switch).

if I don't have any joy (and we get a bad winter :lol: ) I might take you up on the circuit offer :)

Actually, to save the hassle of circuit building, something like this: http://www.suntekstore.co.uk/DC-12V__24 ... paign=gbuk ...could be used to connect the motor - all that would be needed is to connect this board to the wires supplying the motor & then run the control knob to somewhere in the dash. I don't know the power consumption of the motor though, 3-ish amps might be enough, but a higher rated controller is no big deal - just needs higher rated FETs.

See how you go anyway, I'd be interested about the accord option, especially with the wet weather - I find the intermittent-or-nothing wiper thing is pretty useless on a deck when the spray gets going.

Archived